Quesadillas

Crickey, even in Staffordshire we accept that oatcakes can be rolled, folded or stacked and come with a variety of fillings despite the traditional version being stacked with cheese and bacon. Mind you over the border in Derbyshire, the actual oatcakes are make with milk instead of just water which is sacrilege... However, if you walk around the corner to the next oatcake shop, you will find they only come rolled or folded and the standard filling is cheese and onion...

Do you see what I'm getting at? Perhaps it varies depending on where in Mexico you are? I wonder because using Australia Google and the search terms I used, didn't yield a single stacked tortilla, all of them were rolled (heaven's forbid) or folded. I wonder if other filling are acceptable then why is it not acceptable to fold a tortilla?
Something rolled in a flour tortilla is a burrito unless it is deep fried then it becomes a chimichanga.
Something rolled in a corn tortilla is either an enchilada or a flatua if fried.
Folded over are usually called soft tacos or taquitas.

It does depend on the region.

So like oatcakes, they can be done a variety of ways but they all have different names.

Huh?
A quesadilla is 2 tortillas with a filling in between. I have never seen a folded quesadilla in any real Mexican restaurant. That folded one is only at one big chain. Or at least not down here where we are 45% mexicans.
Though if you do have a recipe for a folded one I would love to see it.

And that is the first time I have ever heard a flour tortilla referred to as a shell. You also confused me with fry.

Please post recipe.
My mistake. I should have referred to it as a burrito or enchilada.

I have since realised that we had a 15" wok hidden away (as well as you could hide something that big). I'll give it a try and if that fails, cut the flour tortillas prior to cooking

Not ideal - but adequate. Didn't affect the taste.

12 inch quesadilla 0 s.jpg

12 inch quesadilla 1 s.jpg

12 inch quesadilla 2 s.jpg

12 inch quesadilla 4 s.jpg

I only ate half. I'm saving the rest for Spanish qualifying.

I only ate half. I'm saving the rest for Spanish qualifying.

I would suggest not re-heating the quesadilla(s) in the microwave. Whilst the sections containing the cheese and salsa were reasonable, the edges were like cardboard.

I would suggest not re-heating the quesadilla(s) in the microwave. Whilst the sections containing the cheese and salsa were reasonable, the edges were like cardboard.
I'm sorry. I should have warned you on that one.

I always reheat pancakes or flat breads in a very hot, ungreased frying pan. They are ready when you can only just bear to pick them up with your fingers :laugh:

Ok the correct word for a sandwich! Is it butty or sarnie? I use both...

I was always of the understanding that "sarnie" was used on the eastern northern counties and "butty" on the western.

Ok the correct word for a sandwich! Is it butty or sarnie? I use both...
I've always said "sarnie" - the first time I'd ever heard of the word "butty" was when Paul McCartney mentioned chip butties in about 1963..... I always took it to be a "Liverpool" thing. My sister used to live the other side of the Mersey (Wallasey) and she'd never heard of it either.

Back
Top Bottom