Retirement plans

My mom would call me and say, “Well, Rachael was out here again, said she needed $20 for gas, so I had to give her $20.”

“Why don’t you just tell her no?”
“She’s got to get to work somehow!”.
Sounds like your parents are really good people and developed the rich mindset, while your sister developed the poor mindset and gave it to her children.

If anybody would like to gain some Education in Investing, to save the money when getting old
Thanks for the link. I've been investing and trading in the stock market since 2015 with some great results! I've been using the TD Ameritrade platform which has a lot of free tools but I am always happy for more information. I'm really more of a long term investor and individual stock picker than anything else. I'm not doing options, that kind of thing isn't really my style.

TD Ameritrade was recently acquired by Charles Schwab so soon I'll be transitioning to the new platform. I hope its as easy to use as TDA.

I am looking forward to retirement so that we can have all the time in the world to do whatever we want, however it does make me think that retirement means old so mixed feelings about it.
On saying that we know quite a few people in their 70's, look great and are in good health so maybe it wouldn't be such a bad thing.

I'm 58, and my plans are to keep working until the day I die, and then figure out a way to keep on working after that. :laugh:

I'm fortunate that my job is one I really like, and at the moment I really like my boss, too. I am closing in on 30 years with Ford, though I started as a contract employee in 1988. The pension benefits increase at the 30 year mark, so that's when I might start thinking more seriously about it.

But, every time I return from a long break from work, I tell myself, "I could do this full-time!" My 8 days in Greece had me thinking that way. But, of course, I won't have the income to afford to travel without my full income, so this is part of the decision.

Retirement will become a more realistic option at some point in the future:
  • At some point, my kids will move out and get established, and I won't have to spend half my income (roughly) supporting them. This alone is the big reason I can't retire now.
  • Once that happens we can:
    • Downsize our house, or
    • It will take so long for my kids to move out that I will have paid off my current house by then. :laugh:
One thing I have seen some people do that I think would be ideal would be to retire, start collecting a pension, and then work part-time somewhere (maybe for Ford? Maybe in the kitchen at a restaurant?) I know there are some parameters to what's allowed (how many hours you can work, for example, to keep collecting your retirement money).

I guess the bottom line is that I'm one of those weird people who likes working. That could change if I end up with a horrible boss (which happened a few years ago). Ford does occasionally give incentives to retire, like big cash payments (upwards of a full year's salary), but nothing they offer now is worth missing that 30-year mark. That, and my kids are still around, so...no retirement plans for me just yet.

Looking at what I posted about 2 years ago...and not much has changed. I still like my job. The kids are still in the house, with no plans to leave. I didn't mention it at the time, but I have since posted to the Caregiver's thread why one of them may never move out. I tell my wife that I'm never going to get to retire, and she smacks me and says I shouldn't talk like that. She got to retire 2 years ago, and it wasn't entirely what she wanted. But, she found out that she had 30 years in as a teacher, and that coincided with a particularly bad situation with her administration, so she decided that the time was right. As a teacher, the reason you retire is rarely because you can't stand the kids, but almost invariably because of the administration and coworkers. Such a shame that the focus can't be on what matters most in schools (i.e., the good of the students).

The only thing that's different is that Ford is going through yet another cost cutting measure. And, they've be squirrely when it comes to sounding an "all clear"...everyone is worried, but some departments have been told they're safe. So, who knows? I might be posting here that I've finally retired.

I am looking forward to retirement so that we can have all the time in the world to do whatever we want, however it does make me think that retirement means old so mixed feelings about it.
On saying that we know quite a few people in their 70's, look great and are in good health so maybe it wouldn't be such a bad thing.
I'm 61 and hubby's 55. We are semi-retired. It is nice to be able to go on long vacations knowing we don't have to come back home and go back to the grind. But sometimes it can be a bit boring. I need more hobbies.

The only thing that's different is that Ford is going through yet another cost cutting measure. And, they've be squirrely when it comes to sounding an "all clear"...everyone is worried, but some departments have been told they're safe. So, who knows? I might be posting here that I've finally retired.

I just got a call from my supervisor that I'm in the clear. Good news, but I feel bad about people I've know who aren't here anymore.

Thanks for the link. I've been investing and trading in the stock market since 2015 with some great results! I've been using the TD Ameritrade platform which has a lot of free tools but I am always happy for more information. I'm really more of a long term investor and individual stock picker than anything else. I'm not doing options, that kind of thing isn't really my style.

TD Ameritrade was recently acquired by Charles Schwab so soon I'll be transitioning to the new platform. I hope its as easy to use as TDA.

65 is when superannuation kicked in here. I'm retired but work occasionally.
I'm 66 and wife has 18 months to go. We have investments in art and also banks.
Wife says not retiring until 67? She will be double dipping.

Russ

I'm 61 and hubby's 55. We are semi-retired. It is nice to be able to go on long vacations knowing we don't have to come back home and go back to the grind. But sometimes it can be a bit boring. I need more hobbies.

That is the thing, I have thought about all the things we could do but it will still be full days to fill. Winter will be the worst time because we wouldn't be able to do any gardening which is a thing for me. Hobbies would have to feature quite large, maybe a part time job to keep ticking over.

That is the thing, I have thought about all the things we could do but it will still be full days to fill. Winter will be the worst time because we wouldn't be able to do any gardening which is a thing for me. Hobbies would have to feature quite large, maybe a part time job to keep ticking over.

You could always come and do my gardening in the winter. Although the temperatures sometimes drop as low as 15°C!

Sport is a good hobby and is easy to do while at home when it's cold outside.
In general I would spend my days with keeping mind and body sharp, and hang out with some nice people. For mind brainjogging is good, but also any creative art and lateral thinking

Last edited:
Retirement? I can't imagine it. I suppose I effectively "retired" when I left Corporate America 22 years ago, and from there on, my time was my own, to do what I wanted WHEN I wanted to. I understand perfectly if folks want to retire from a permanent job, mind you. The imposition of having to turn up at an office every day (although now it's different) is enough to make anyone want to give up!
If I'm not busy doing something, I go nuts. I can't imagine just sitting around watching TV all day or looking after grandchildren.

Retirement? I can't imagine it. I suppose I effectively "retired" when I left Corporate America 22 years ago, and from there on, my time was my own, to do what I wanted WHEN I wanted to. I understand perfectly if folks want to retire from a permanent job, mind you. The imposition of having to turn up at an office every day (although now it's different) is enough to make anyone want to give up!
If I'm not busy doing something, I go nuts. I can't imagine just sitting around watching TV all day or looking after grandchildren.

We are lucky to live where we do because there is so much open space and places to visit within walking distance so would spend a lot of time outside, sitting in front of the tv is not my thing. In winter reading, jigsaw puzzles or whatever..

Which is why I have a part time job. It's an independent contractor position so flexible hours. I choose when I want to work. But still too much time on my hands. Hubby has been gardening but like you, we have winters that don't allow for it. I'd like to get a winter vacation home down south.

Back
Top Bottom