SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
9:44 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
The key to this roasted garlic hummus is how you cook your chickpeas before you use them in the hummus. It's really easy to make it you have a pressure cooker and won't take very long. If you don't have one, get the chickpeas cooking before the garlic. If you do have one, get the garlic roasting before the chickpeas are cooked.

DSC_2272.JPG

Ingredients
(to cook the chickpeas)

250g dried chickpeas (soaked overnight)
1 tbsp ground coriander
1 tbsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
6-10 cloves of garlic, crushed

(to roast the garlic)
1 large head of garlic
1tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp dried mixed herbs or just thyme (optional)

(to make the hummus)
cooked chickpeas from above
2 generous tbsp tahini (get a nice one)
4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (extra for presentation if you want)
125ml warm water
1 lemon, juice of
1 tbsp tamari soy sauce
(roasted pine nuts for presentation, optional)

Method
  1. Soak the chickpeas in plenty of water overnight, then add the cumin, coriander, garlic and turmeric to fresh water, just enough to not quite cover the chickpeas and pressure cook the chickpeas for 30 minutes once up to pressure. If you don't have a pressure cooker, you'll need to bring the chickpeas to the boil and boil for 15 minutes, before lowering the heat and simmering (covered) for approximately 2 hours. Keep an eye on the water level. Either way, your aim is to slightly overcook the chickpeas so that they are very soft and easier to purée.
  2. Whilst the chickpeas are cooking, roast the head of garlic. Heat your oven to 375F (180C or Gas 5 or 6). Slice off the top few millimetres (1/4 inch or less) of the top of the head of the garlic so that each clove is exposed. Wrap the garlic in foil, leaving open for the moment at the top. Pour over the olive oil and any herbs being used (these are optional and will flavour the hummus). Seal the foil at the top and roast in the oven for around an hour until the garlic is soft. Remove and allow to cool.
  3. Drain the chickpeas, retaining any liquid left over from cooking. It's full of flavour so don't throw it, you can use it later in the recipe.
  4. You'll need a food processor unless you have a very good elbow... Add all of the ingredients except for the water to the food processor and blend until smooth. The garlic cloves will just slide out of the head of garlic making life easier for you. It will be rather thick at this stage, so add that retained cooking liquid. How much liquid you add depends on how thick or thin you want your hummus, just remember it is easier to add more liquid if it is too thick...
The turmeric in the cooking water of the chickpeas will add a slightly darker colour to your hummus than you may be accustomed to, but I can assure you it is worth it. If you want the extra garlic flavour you can add a clove of raw garlic during the food processor stage.
Also instead of roasted garlic hummus, you can just have garlic hummus instead. It should be obvious what to do.
Any flavours added whilst roasting the garlic, like thyme will also come through in the final product, so you have a huge range of options that you can vary. I also prefer to use tamari soy sauce rather than sea salt, but it's up to you.

Last edited:
Very nice Hummus ..

I prepare mine with the following ingredients: Chickpeas, fresh lemon juice, Evoo, garlic, smoked paprika, a pinch of ground cumin, pure tahini, & salt .. I think I may have posted a récipe for it some time ago ..

Yum.

Do you have a recommended brand of tahini? I ran out recently and need a new jar

We ate a commercially prepared hummus recently at a gathering that was topped with diced pickled jalapeño - my kids loved it so I've been replicating it at home.

@Frizz1974

We purchase our´s at a tiny Moroccan Kiosk at the La Mercat de La Boqueria in Barcelona where we live.

So, I cannot help you .. However, Tahini can be bought at Amazon .. Or via an Israeli exporter ..

Very nice Hummus ..

I prepare mine with the following ingredients: Chickpeas, fresh lemon juice, Evoo, garlic, smoked paprika, a pinch of ground cumin, pure tahini, & salt .. I think I may have posted a récipe for it some time ago ..
I do have a preferred brand but it's hard to get hold of. I think the image of it must be on my mobile phone which had a smashed screen at the moment and the laptop which may have had it on it, is being replaced because all the pets on it have failed... Currently I'm using woollies macro organic one which is acceptable but not ideal. I know I picked up the one I like from an Asian store. I'll have chance to revisit that area on Tuesday so I'll try to find the image by then...

So, I cannot help you .. However, Tahini can be bought at Amazon .. Or via an Israeli exporter
Tahini is readily and easily available in Australia. It is simply the taste that is in question. I like to mix a little black tahini in with mine currently but like Vegemite and Marmite, black tahini is best used in moderation.
By the way, Amazon does not exists except for electronic books and digital music in Australia. It is not a retail outlet that it is in many other countries. Our main options are Australian owned shops and eBay.

Tahini is readily and easily available in Australia. It is simply the taste that is in question. I like to mix a little black tahini in with mine currently but like Vegemite and Marmite, black tahini is best used in moderation.
By the way, Amazon does not exists except for electronic books and digital music in Australia. It is not a retail outlet that it is in many other countries. Our main options are Australian owned shops and eBay.

@SatNavSaysStraightOn

Wow .. Interesting. I had no idea that Amazon did not have a retail outlet in Sydney or Melbourne ..

Tahini is a Mid Eastern and Israeli Product so surely one can find .. Especially in Melbourne or Sydney which are quite international .. There is a large expat community of uncountalbe nationalities in Melbourne especially ..

Very nice. I like the technique of rehydrating the dried chickpeas and using a pressure cooker: I've made hummus with canned chickpeas, and they're good, but not quite restaurant quality. And, really excellent usage of garlic here: roasted garlic is fantastic by itself, but I can see how it would pair beautifully here.

Tahini is readily and easily available in Australia

Tahini is a Mid Eastern and Israeli Product so surely one can find .. Especially in Melbourne or Sydney which are quite international .. There is a large expat community of uncountalbe nationalities in Melbourne especially ..
Like I said it is easily available even in Australia's capital city of Canberra!

It is not availability that is the question but quality we were discussing.

Back
Top Bottom