Saucepans

Herbie

Veteran
Local time
6:32 AM
I've got some cheap saucepans and frying pans that I want to replace. I've got a couple of 'Le Creuset' style pots and a cast iron skillet that I love but I need some general saucepans, omelette pan, frying pan and a wok. Any advice? I've currently got an electric hob but will soon (hopefully) have a gas hob.

Should I go for copper-bottomed pans? Dishwasher safe is a must :) I don't think I like non-stick. Should I spend a lot or is it not worth it?

I replaced my saucepans a few years back with these stainless steel saucepans from ProCook. They still look good and are fine in the dishwasher. They have measurements inside which is a slight plus point. I also like the draining feature in the lids.

ProCook Gourmet Steel Saucepan Set

1594928631135.png

Nearly all of my pots & pans are ScanPan. They're on the pricey end for Aus but sooo worth it. I've used them nearly every day for (gosh) 17 years & they look near as new. Decent weight, heavy bottoms, highly recommended.
I also have a cast iron pan I inherited which is fantastic and I "want" more, but I don't really need more

My omelet pan and one skillet are aluminum with a stainless plate on the bottom (for induction). They are non-stick. All of my sauce pans and a couple skillets are Al Clad tri-ply. Then I have my cast iron.

I like the non-stick for eggs, and general use sautéing and pan frying. I use the stainless or cast iron when I want a good sear.

The non-stick gets used the most, with the stainless sauce pans second most. The cast iron comes in third.

CD

One of the biggest requirements I have with any new pan is that it must have oven-safe handles, and preferably metal ones at that.

My saucepans do have high heat plastic handles, good up to 450F or something like that, but I'm still in the habit of wrapping them in a couple of layers of wet paper towel and foil, just to be sure. I had a plastic handle that was supposedly oven-safe explode in the oven once, and that was a mess, so now I don't chance it.

Just about any pan I cook with will end up in the oven at some point.

One of the biggest requirements I have with any new pan is that it must have oven-safe handles, and preferably metal ones at that.

The set I have (pictured above) are oven safe up to 260C (500F) yet have handles and lid handles which are not metal. The handles are 'soft touch' and don't conduct heat when in use, which I also like.

I have several pieces of cast iron - all old, inherited and well cured. I use the skillet and dutch oven most. I have a set of copper bottom stainless that I use most often. It is oven and dishwasher safe. I like the weight of the pans and the even heat conduction of the copper bottom. Non stick pan for eggs. I rarely put pots and pans in the dishwasher. My machine is not high end and does not do a great job on pots and pans. Brother has a Bosh dishwasher - high end. It cleans everything.
When it comes to price keep in mind that your cook ware is an investment. You will be using it for decades. That does not mean that you have to spend a fortune. Go for quality and features that suit your needs then get the best that you can afford.
I purchased the stainless set probably 20+ years ago. My criteria - stainless clad copper bottom, good weight and oven proof handles. I do not remember what I paid for the set. I do remember that I found it on sale at Bed, Bath and Beyond and got another 20% off with a coupon.

I hope we are somewhat answering Herbie's questions. I listed what I have, and what gets used the most -- and the least. I hope that helps.

My s-steel bottom aluminum non-stick pans are All-Clad, but they were not that expensive. I like the heavy steel bottom, because aluminum pans will warp if you get them too hot. The heavy steel bottom helps.

I have never owned any copper bottomed pans, just a tea kettle. If you want the copper to stay shiny, you better be prepared to do some polishing.

I like stainless-aluminum-stainless try-ply, because it gives the best of both materials. Good even heating, and decent reaction time to heat changes.

CD

I hope we are somewhat answering Herbie's questions. I listed what I have, and what gets used the most -- and the least. I hope that helps.

My s-steel bottom aluminum non-stick pans are All-Clad, but they were not that expensive. I like the heavy steel bottom, because aluminum pans will warp if you get them too hot. The heavy steel bottom helps.

I have never owned any copper bottomed pans, just a tea kettle. If you want the copper to stay shiny, you better be prepared to do some polishing.

I like stainless-aluminum-stainless try-ply, because it gives the best of both materials. Good even heating, and decent reaction time to heat changes.

CD
My copper bottom pans are clad with stainless steel. Only a ribbon of copper is visible. If it bothers me I give it a quick scrub with an S.O.S. pad. It shines up like new.

Thank you, yes, it's really useful hearing what you all find useful.

I told husband how much I'm likely to be spending and he was rather shocked! I pointed out he liked my cooking and I don't usually spend money on expensive things. I've wanted decent pans for years.

Thank you, yes, it's really useful hearing what you all find useful.

I told husband how much I'm likely to be spending and he was rather shocked! I pointed out he liked my cooking and I don't usually spend money on expensive things. I've wanted decent pans for years.

Thing is its a one off - you will use them for years to come. So if you broke the price down to what it costs per year its not much!

Back
Top Bottom