Saucepans

Thank you, yes, it's really useful hearing what you all find useful.

I told husband how much I'm likely to be spending and he was rather shocked! I pointed out he liked my cooking and I don't usually spend money on expensive things. I've wanted decent pans for years.
I can't stress how important it is to get good quality kitchen stuff. My saucepans, I've had them...28 years, maybe? I use them every day except when I'm on vacation or eating out. Knives are the same way. I think I've had my knives 25 years.

Before I bought good quality stuff, I went through so many bargain department store pans, it wasn't funny. Good stuff, you pay for it upfront, but you buy it once.

I won't cook starchy foods in them! Stainless steel pots & pans are the worst. A white film gets lets on them, causing you to have to scrub vigorously to get it off. Such as pasta, potatoes, rice ,oatmeal & other starchy foods. They are beautiful, but, they are hard to clean starchy foods from!!:thumbsdown:

Last edited:
I won't cook starchy foods in them! Stainless steel pots & pans are the worst. A white film gets lets on them, causing you to have to scrub vigorously to get it off. Such as potatoes, rice ,oatmeal & other starchy foods. They are beautiful, but, they are hard to clean starchy foods from!!:thumbsdown:
I've never had that problem at all, and mine are stainless steel.

I've never had that problem at all, and mine are stainless steel.

Yes, stainless steel will build up a light starchy layer boiling starch foods. It doesn't bother me -- it is cosmetic. Try some white vinegar to desolve it.

CD

Yes, stainless steel will build up a light starchy layer boiling starch foods. It doesn't bother me -- it is cosmetic. Try some white vinegar to desolve it.

CD
I don't know...maybe I need to let mine sit a bit to get that. I generally plop them in the sink with a little soapy water as soon as I'm done cooking, and go back and wash them later. I've never had a white residue like that.

I don't know...maybe I need to let mine sit a bit to get that. I generally plop them in the sink with a little soapy water as soon as I'm done cooking, and go back and wash them later. I've never had a white residue like that.

You are lucky. I get it when boiling pasta or potatoes. It happens immediately when I dump either one into a colander.

CD

After 20+ years I do not expect my stainless pots and pans to look brand new.
They do not look out of the box new but you would never guess that they are as old as they are.
I do the same thing.
I use a DOBI Pad.

1595113941519.png

A sponge with a nylon web cover. It is safe to use on anything, including cast iron and gets rid of any film or residue.
In my humble opinion a few pieces of cast iron, stainless clad, copper bottom pans with a nonstick omelet pan is the perfect combination.

A sponge with a nylon web cover. It is safe to use on anything, including cast iron and gets rid of any film or residue.
That's what I use on my cast iron. On my SS pans, I just use a standard scratch-safe sponge (the blue ones).

This is the largest of my three saucepans (the picture makes it look bigger/deeper than it is). 28 years old, it's my main pasta and potato-boiling pan, 5-ply SS. It's smaller sibling is my main oatmeal and rice pudding pan, and both look just like this;

You can even see the outline of my reflection. :wink:

That's what I use on my cast iron. On my SS pans, I just use a standard scratch-safe sponge (the blue ones).

This is the largest of my three saucepans (the picture makes it look bigger/deeper than it is). 28 years old, it's my main pasta and potato-boiling pan, 5-ply SS. It's smaller sibling is my main oatmeal and rice pudding pan, and both look just like this;

You can even see the outline of my reflection. :wink:
AWE! So cute!
My stainless looks the same. I talked to G about when we bought the set. Figured 28 - 30 years ago. A testimony to the quality and longevity of good stainless cookware.

Try THIS after washing the cookware first. Better yet, do the entire surfaces of the pot or pan. Makes it look brand spanking new!! Comes with it's own scouring sponge. :wink:

Last edited:
It is Emeril cookware. I would have to do some research to find out who actually produces the cookware. The set has glass lids. I broke one and had to order a replacement but I don't remember the manufacturer. Not looking it up tonight. On my second dirty martini.
:drink:

He calls it Emerilware. You might find it on Amazon. Saladmaster was one. It was very heavy & thick.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom