Saying Hello

did someone mention scones?

@shaun, you need to bring the animated :hungry: and :mrpig: smilies in here, pronto!!!

Sounds luuuberly ... :hungry:

Which has prompted a memory of some tea rooms in York where they serve traditional tea and scones (with dollops of clotted cream ... ooohhh). Can't remember the name of the place though ... Arch, you in here yet? :)

I am!

Do you mean the place we had tea when we met up? It was called something like Newmans I think, it might have changed name/management now. Right by the Minster, which makes for a fabulous view, but also a risk of gales in all but the calmest weather.

Mind you, if you can't find tea and scones in York, you're not looking very hard!:hungry:

I see Shaun is progressing well in his bid for complete domination of 'tinternet.

Having just had bacon ribs with spuds and peas I've not got room for scones, but I might force myself to eat cake later. :whistling:

I had spicy sticky ribs in the pub last night. They were delicious and stuck beautifully to my ribs, leaving my face and hands delightfully sticky.

Mrs Scoosh and I took her parents out for high tea today to celebrate their 59th Wedding Anniversary. :thumbsup:

Earl Grey; sandwiches; scones + butter, clotted cream, raspberry jam; nice fruit cake thing; brownies/ choccy thing; profiteroles. :stop:

Stuffed :smug:

Mrs Scoosh and I took her parents out for high tea today to celebrate their 59th Wedding Anniversary. :thumbsup:

Earl Grey; sandwiches; scones + butter, clotted cream, raspberry jam; nice fruit cake thing; brownies/ choccy thing; profiteroles. :stop:

Stuffed :smug:

Cwor ... sounds lovely. And here's me, sat with no chance of getting our for any dinner today as I have to stay and man the phones at the office ... I'll just have to imagine some scones and brownies. :(

I'm allergic to all dairy as well (same issues on top of asthma) - but made a batch of dairy free chocolate chip scones yesterday which are lovely and if you search hard enough there is some lovely soya whipping cream. now just to make sure that the strawberry jam does not have dairy in it - yeh I know, but my grannie always made homemade strawberry jam with a knob of butter in it, which added to the taste wonderfully..

anyhow - green tea, dairy free chocolate chips scones served with whipped soya cream and strawberry jam are now being served in.... my kitchen. :)
Care to share your recipes? I've found the dairy free marg tends to be good as a fat/butter replacement.

I found a great recipe for chocolate cake without dairy -including eggs so suitable for vegans - I'll post it when I have a bit more time on my hands.

The whipping cream you mention- it's not the single cream Alpro is it? I've been trying to find a soya that can be whipped or used in place of double cream- if you have a brand that works, please let me know.

Care to share your recipes? I've found the dairy free marg tends to be good as a fat/butter replacement.

I found a great recipe for chocolate cake without dairy -including eggs so suitable for vegans - I'll post it when I have a bit more time on my hands.

The whipping cream you mention- it's not the single cream Alpro is it? I've been trying to find a soya that can be whipped or used in place of double cream- if you have a brand that works, please let me know.

I'll post on the recipes bought I think - or the special diets one but it will have to be Sunday - today and tomorrow are both 90th birthday party days and I have to spend the morning cooking so that I have something to eat tomorrow...

The soya whipping cream is not that easily available in the UK yet, but you can buy it online, it is a dedictaed whipping one, not the single alpro - though the alpro single fresh soya cream (in the chiller cabinets) is surprisingly thick and could qualify for double cream... I'll put some links under special diets, but the scones were made with "Pure soya marg" which worked amazingly well.

Back
Top Bottom