Scone or scone?

Something else the study revealed was that the -th sound is fast disappearing from the language, being replaced by an -f sound.

This leads to the worrying thought that lots of people in the south of England intend to go for a barf.
Said "barf" all my life - just have to be careful now who I say it to! And I've always said "scone" with a long 'o' - the only people I knew who said it with a short 'o' were all Scottish.

So it does it's research for free ?
We are off topic. :happy: I think it gets its funds from undertaking surveys for paying clients. I know it does surveys on shopping habits for example - presumably paid for by supermarkets or food production companies. If you really want to know I expect you could find out...

That's a bit aggressive!
Sorry - It wasn't meant aggressively at all. I just meant that it would probably be possible to find out in more detail how it was funded - I have googled a bit to try and answer the question. I suspect that Cambridge University paid YouGov to conduct the survey. If I was willing to dig deeper I could probably find out more... but.... I never asked the question in the first place! :D

...actually @Duck has answered the question in the link above. Its not a YouGov survey but an app developed by the University of Cambridge. The YouGov survey is a different thing I suppose and I really don't know how that was funded.

A friend of mine, who is the same age as me, hails from Berkshire and has a fairly typical sub-London accent. I had the pleasure of knowing his father, who was not only a kind and gentlemanly soul, but also had a wonderful rural burr to his Berkshire accent (older UK readers might like to recall John Arlott by way of comparison). Sadly, I suspect that there are few such accents left in the counties surrounding London.

Scone as in gone. The really important question is: jam on the bottom clotted cream on the top, or the other way around?

Personally I don't like clotted cream so have butter and jam, hubby could eat clotted cream until it came out of his ears :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom