Scones: What should go on first - jam or cream?

What should go on the scone first

• Jam

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Cream

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

Shaun

Guru
Local time
4:12 PM
When you're making a jam and cream scone (think English afternoon tea and scones) - what should go on the scone first, jam or cream?

The cream should be spread on first, then simply dollop a spoon of jam on top of that and put the other half of the scone on top of that. Then shove it all into your mouth as fast as you can, then start again.

Never mind trying to derail the thread ... let's have your pronouncement on the order of jam and cream first!! :p:
Phils from Shrewsbury. How different can people frome there be . its one or the other. Come on phil, spill the beans.
I like jam or cream first.:wink: Am I allowed to opt for just cream sometimes?:hungry:

Jam first every time here too - once you've put the cream on you can never get enough jam on without ruining the "look" ... taste wise, oodles of both please!! :happy:

Jam is much easier to spread directly onto the scone. If you put the cream on first then you can't spread jam on top of it, it will just get mixed in with the cream. Putting jam on first also allows for more cream to be added as a thick topping to the jam.

I have the same logic as Food4thought up there. Unless the "cream" is practically a cheese or an icing or something that sticks much better, then I'd put the jam on first.

Being English myself, this is an easy one. The order has to be butter, then jam, then cream. Most cafes serve whipped cream, but clotted Cornish cream is absolutely delicious on a scone.

Back
Top Bottom