Sell By Dates - Would You Use It?

SandwichShortOfAPicnic

Ɯber Member
Local time
11:51 AM
So this is unprecedented for me but the evidence is clear, this gelatine packet has escaped more than one cupboard clear out and is so far out of date it may have a dedication in Guinness book of records šŸ˜‚

Thing is it is crystal clear and shows no signs of degradation.

So would you use it?
Even though I have plenty of in date gelatine in the cupboard Iā€™m tempted to!

Before you say yes, check out the production and best before by date in the bottom left hand corner of the pic šŸ˜¬šŸ¤£

IMG_2107.jpeg

If I had other gelatin, then I wouldnā€™t. Not worried about getting sick, just that it may not perform up to snuff.

If that were all I had, thoughā€¦Iā€™d be using it - to me, ā€œbest byā€ means it wonā€™t make me sick, but it may not work as intended. If it said ā€œexpires on,ā€ Iā€™d not be using it at all.

I think I'd ditch it simply because it's 16 years old :laugh:
Although gelatine is tasteless, I'd throw it because, after all that time, the quality must have suffered. I doubt very much it would cause any damage, but my concern would be that it might not set properly.

I would also only worry about it not working anymore
And now I remember that I should have gelatin somewhere as well. Curious what the date on it would be

When I cleaned out my stepmom's pantry after she had her devastating accident, the oldest stuff was 14ish years. We hit 7 years on a few canned things that I found when I cleaned out and rearranged our pantry. Just started on 1 of. the freezers today, there was a 3 year old best buy date on a roll of breakfast sausage. It's going out in the garbage tomorrow.

Last edited:
When I cleaned out my stepmom's pantry after she had her devastating accident, the oldest stuff was 14ish years. We hit 7 years on a few canned things that I found when I cleaned out and rearranged our pantry. Just started on 1 the freezers today, there was a 3 year old best buy date on a roll of breakfast sausage. It's going out in the garbage tomorrow.
Sorry to ask and please donā€™t answer if it seemā€™s rude/too much but what devastating accident?

It was years ago and she passed a few years later. She had a very bad car accident, had to be air lifted to a trauma center. Multiple broken bones, internal injuries, etc. She was in hospital for a long time, then nursing home even longer, then home care finally. I had to move in with my dad for over 3 months as he had dementia and couldn't live alone, about 900 miles from where DH and I live.

It was years ago and she passed a few years later. She had a very bad car accident, had to be air lifted to a trauma center. Multiple broken bones, internal injuries, etc. She was in hospital for a long time, then nursing home even longer, then home care finally. I had to move in with my dad for over 3 months as he had dementia and couldn't live alone, about 900 miles from where DH and I live.
Thatā€™s really rough! I canā€™t imagine how hard that was.
One of my bezzies is going through a similar thing.
Both parents, car accident, mum dead, father survived but paralysed and brain injured. Impossible to navigate.

Back
Top Bottom