Sell By Dates - Would You Use It?

I suppose I gotta do something with it.
It's powdered. Going to have a look see how much to dose.
Maybe I can use it as fining for my beer. Not going to make beer jelly !

It was years ago and she passed a few years later. She had a very bad car accident, had to be air lifted to a trauma center. Multiple broken bones, internal injuries, etc. She was in hospital for a long time, then nursing home even longer, then home care finally. I had to move in with my dad for over 3 months as he had dementia and couldn't live alone, about 900 miles from where DH and I live.
I am so sorry for all of the stress.

I was recently rearranging stuff in my kitchen, and found a 2 y old tea, two packages. Some kind of medicinal herb mixture. I suppose I could have used it, but I decided to throw it away, as I did not know when the next situation would occur. I am grateful I do not need to replenish it.🙏

Use it. In 1961 I and 3500 other trainees at Ft. Devens, Mass. regularly 'dined out' on field rations canned in the 1940s w/no ill effects.
My dad carted those things home when on leave from the Vietnam War. They weren't from the 40s but I am sure that they tasted about the same. The meat was similar in appearance and smell to canned dog food--well canned dog food may taste better...

I found this on my container of blackstrap molasses... no issues using it.

20240408_153345.jpg

I've still got about half of the container left, so at my current rate of use, I might finish the jar in 2031 or so!

I wouldn't be surprised to find some 2017 jars lying around somewhere :wink:
It's hard for us to have anything much older because we only moved to Australia in May 2016 and you pretty much can't bring much in the way of food or drink with you. Anything we did bring (personal possessions) came by sea, so no food whatsoever. We did bring a few bottles of whisky with us, subject to customs allowances, but that was it. We literally had to buy everything again from scratch when we got here.

Back
Top Bottom