Show me your breakfast (2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG_7110.jpeg

I’m laughing because I’m a Frisch’s, an inexpensive family restaurant, and I’m eating at the counter, not a table or booth.

A woman and her granddaughter, she’s maybe 10, walked in and sat next to me at the counter. Judging from her fur coat, clothes, hairstyle, jewelry, and designer bag, she’s not used to dining amongst the rabble. She gingerly sat down, sniffed around, and muttered, “Well, at least it’s reasonably clean…”

I’m fighting the urge to engage her in some banter: “Sew where is yew all from? Yew look like one o’ them city folk I done heard tell about! Kin I touch yer hair? It’s sew purdy!”

IMG_3502.JPG

What y'all call King's Hawaiian Sweet Bread (round loaf this time) morphed into French Toast, some Turkey Sausages, Cantaloupe chunks and juice for Christmas Morning Breakfast, ONO!!! I just wished that I still had some more Coconut Syrup ... note to self: when we finally make it to Las Vegas, don't forget to get some Coconut Syrup!!

I had free hot breakfast again this morning. Today it was scrambled eggs and bacon. I have some fresh baked flour tortillas and Mexican cheese that I bought yesterday, so I made myself some bacon and egg tacos. They need some hot sauce, but they were not bad.

CD

Shakshouka.
Had to be done, the grape must has been waiting too long to be uncorked and it’s not often the supermarket has peppers that make me want to buy them.
IMG_1693.jpeg

Used tinned cherry tomatoes and reduced them before adding the peppers which added an extra pleasant jamminess.
IMG_1696.jpeg

IMG_1697.jpeg

Decided to poach rather than bake the eggs, as you can see from the whites I went a bit fast and furious on the poaching because it’s tricky to poach 8 eggs at the same time to the same consistency without really going for it, they were lovely but not your usual poached egg shape 😂

I remember a time, albeit many years ago, when you could pick wild blackberries from country hedgerows and it didn't cost you a penny. These weighed in, kilo for kilo, at slightly cheaper than fillet steak!

Bananablackberry s.jpg

The short time I lived in Cincinnati, blackberries grew wild 100 yards from our back door.

CD

I read this today:

"In Australia, NSW, VIC AND SOUTH AUSTRALIA, Blackberries are considered a noctious weed and are heavily controlled. Farmers could and have been heavily fined for not removing this invasive species. Although tasty and nutricius, they are [considered] a nuisence."

I read this today:

"In Australia, NSW, VIC AND SOUTH AUSTRALIA, Blackberries are considered a noctious weed and are heavily controlled. Farmers could and have been heavily fined for not removing this invasive species. Although tasty and nutricius, they are [considered] a nuisence."
Yep, and you'll find motorists stopping on the hard shoulder of a highway, in autumn, crossing to the central reservation and harvesting them!

But there are many, many noxious weeds that are meant to be controlled, but are not. You'll see hectares of them growing at the side of the highways, totally unchecked sadly.

NSW WeedWise - Browse weeds by common name

NSW WeedWise - Blackberry (Rubus fruticosus species aggregate)

I spend my life pulling up new seedlings of blackberry (wild blackberry) in the garden and track. They are seeded by wild birds. Best not to let them get much bigger than a hand. They are easy to eradicate at that size. Much harder later on.

The irony is that you can buy a version of blackberry to plant at home in your garden, it's just a lot less vigorous and thorny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom