Show us your..... Christmas Cake

LadyBelle

Veteran
Local time
10:57 AM
BA8FFC31-D8F1-4B45-8EF9-472A150B1CA4.jpeg
4900388A-0C2E-4E7C-8AAB-1DA01B05517F.jpeg
45C3874F-BDB7-406E-840C-EF4FB3562D3F.jpeg

Do you make and decorate a cake for Christmas? Do you go traditional or something modern?

I make fruit cakes every year and gift them to my parents, grandmother and a few friends. I’m not great at decorating so normally do something simple. I have a look at Pinterest and see if there’s something easy for me to copy, once it’s wrapped in cellophane and a ribbon it usually looks ok.

Here’s a few of mine, show me yours.

Last edited by a moderator:
@LadyBelle,

Absolutely exceptionally extraordinary.

My mom does a traditional Tirimasù from scratch, my mom in law makes some Provençal traditional pastries and 1 of my daughter in laws prepares some Catalan traditional convent pastries ..

I do not bake desserts much however, I coach my 2 grandsons and help them make traditional Christmas cookies with cookie cutters and they do all the decoratives ..

Have a lovely holiday ..

@LadyBelle

My resolution for the new year is to learn how to bake. The best I can do is enhance a boxed lemon cake by using 3/4 cup water & 1/4 cup lemon juice instead of a full cup of water. Also add the zest of a large lemon.

As for decorations that may take a very long time. I am seriously intimidated by scratch baking. So my resolution to learn to bake is stepping WAY out of my comfort zone.:happy:

@LadyBelle

My resolution for the new year is to learn how to bake. The best I can do is enhance a boxed lemon cake by using 3/4 cup water & 1/4 cup lemon juice instead of a full cup of water. Also add the zest of a large lemon.

As for decorations that may take a very long time. I am seriously intimidated by scratch baking. So my resolution to learn to bake is stepping WAY out of my comfort zone.:happy:

@ElizabethB

I am sure you shall do just fine .. Just get a really good beginner´s book on baking .. Keep it simple and slow and easy ..

Good luck with your New Year´s Resolution ..

I have always made a Christmas cake (except for 2011 when we were attempting to cycle around the world and it simply wasn't possible). But last year we made one for our first year in Australia and found that it was simply not what we wanted with the weather being so hot at the time. This year we have taken the horrible but sensible decision not to make one. We simply wouldn't eat it. Last year I also made some of the traditional Greek honey biscuits which we are considering for this year as well. Luckily honey is very cheap in Australia so I don't mind, I just need to scale the quantity down a long way so we can watch our waist lines a little more carefully (we also have our wedding anniversary and two family birthdays within 4 days of Christmas day!)

I'll try to find the links to my Christmas cake recipe which is played on here along with some of the undecorated cakes. I don't like marzipan and my hubby doesn't like icing sugar so we never decorated them that way, instead we followed the traditional Dundee cake decoration but actually also doing the same at the bottom of the cake as well as the top!

Edit: here we go, pictures are in the thread
https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/homemade-christmas-cake.40/

Last edited:
I make fruit cakes every year and gift them to my parents, grandmother and a few friends.
Please post your recipe for this. Fruitcakes are notorious in the States as dense, artificially flavored bricks that no one wants (though, to be honest, I do like a good fruitcake).

Back
Top Bottom