Smelly foods/ingredients

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
9:17 PM
This subject has come up lately on a few threads. Some of you love smelly food but others hate them. Fish sauce (Nam Pla) is a case in point. @The Velvet Curtain drinks it by the spoonful! But what about smelly cheeses - Stinking Bishop, Limburger, Munster perhaps? Or perhaps that fragrant fruit, the infamous durian? And does anybody remember Bombay Duck?

What are your smelly food predilections, stories or thoughts? Please tell.

One word: kimchi.

I love the rotting cabbage (and variably other veggie) delight, but boy does it stink.

I've brought it into work at times, and even my Korean co-workers have objected. They say that while they are simpatico in the love for it , most Koreans have a separate refrigerator in their house, often the garage, for the stuff.

Last edited:
One word: kimchi.

I love the rotting cabbage (and other veggie) delight, but boy does it stink.

I've brought it into work at times, and even my Korean co-workers have objected. They say that while they are simpatico in the love for it , most Koreans have a separate refrigerator in their house, often the garage, for the stuff.

Fermenting is the new trend so you are right up there. :cool: I wish I could get kimchi here. Are you making your own or can you get it ready-made?

Apprently, I would have to become a hermit if I wanted to make my own.

We have really wonderful and ethnocentrically confusing Korean markets here, so many types of kimchi besides just cabbage are always available.

Apprently, I would have to become a hermit if I wanted to make my own.

We have really wonderful and ethnocentrically confusing Korean markets here, so many types of kimchi besides just cabbage are always available.

I'm envious. I reckon I could buy ready made in London. But not in the sticks :laugh:. Silly really as I am only 40 miles or so out of London.

Back
Top Bottom