What did you cook/eat today (March 2017)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unlike the shrimp paste in my sambal, fish sauce is an essential ingredient in the majority of Thai dishes so we're stuck with it. I have, however, learned to live with it.
I absolutely adore (and use) both. You probably wouldn't like the Italian bottarga (discussed elsewhere) either as that smells of stinky fish too.:D

I think it lasts better if you squeeze the grated/julienned cucumbers - otherwise they leach water into the mix if it stands around. Please do post the recipe!
You are probably correct. But, for me, I usually get home around 7 p.m...sometimes I skip a few steps in meal preparation so I can eat before 8...rarely having left overs...

Last edited:
Chicken and Aubergine (Eggplant) Curry

IMGP1791.jpg

Tonight will be a combination of chicken, steak and smoked sausage fajitas with grilled onions and bell peppers. I shall also make a small batch of Spanish rice.
Tonight's leftovers will go into tomorrow's jambalaya.

The normal fish type markets here smell of fish, of course, but it's the dried and fermented fish that stinks. A friend of my wife prefers the fermented fish from the south (Rayong) coast so if we're in the region we get some. However, it is deposited in the pick-up bed (next to the durian), not in the cab.

The recipe I use for sambal should include fermented shrimp paste but I just cannot stand the smell never mind the taste so I exclude it.

Then we come to fermented fish sauce (nam plah) which luckily is for sale in sealed bottles (a whole 2m high, 12 metre long aisle is dedicated to it in one supermarket here). Unlike the shrimp paste in my sambal, fish sauce is an essential ingredient in the majority of Thai dishes so we're stuck with it. I have, however, learned to live with it.
I take fish sauce neat, a table spoon full at a time, I love the stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom