What did you cook/eat today (March 2017)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol, I understand the smelly fish thing. I know that's the prevailing thought on how to buy fresh seafood, but it's difficult to say that about a market.

Although, as the saying goes, fish, like guests, begin to stink after 3 days.

However, markets are more difficult to ascertain.

Hey, I think we need @Yorky on this.

morning glory pretty much has Nick's recipe. Squeeze the cukes dry, and strain the yoghurt.

The rest is just raw garlic and red wine vinegar. Dried herbs are the options to taste.

OK, so I'll post the tsatziki sauce recipe, and you'll be the judge, but morning glory is on to the first steps. Squeeze the cukes dry.
I think it lasts better if you squeeze the grated/julienned cucumbers - otherwise they leach water into the mix if it stands around. Please do post the recipe!

morning glory pretty much has Nick's recipe. Squeeze the cukes dry, and strain the yoghurt.

The rest is just raw garlic and red wine vinegar. Dried herbs are the options to taste.

Red vinegar is unusual (to me) and surely fresh herbs are preferable?

Could be a good sign. Thai fish sauce is a wonderful thing.:D It smells rotten but tastes amazing.
The freezers stunk. It wasn't a fish sauce smell but literally rotten food. Hubby was told by a guy that had been in the kitchens of the restaurants that we do not want to eat in any of them because they are very unsanitary.

Tonight was steaks that had been marinated in olive oil, balsamic vinegar, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, garlic, salt and pepper, then grilled (US) 10 minutes on one side, then 7 on the other. Turned off the grill, covered the grill and let rest till hubby got home, steamed spiralized potatoes,(steamer basket on stove over seasoned water) and broccoli in a butter sauce (done in microwave).

Hey, I think we need @Yorky on this.

The normal fish type markets here smell of fish, of course, but it's the dried and fermented fish that stinks. A friend of my wife prefers the fermented fish from the south (Rayong) coast so if we're in the region we get some. However, it is deposited in the pick-up bed (next to the durian), not in the cab.

The recipe I use for sambal should include fermented shrimp paste but I just cannot stand the smell never mind the taste so I exclude it.

Then we come to fermented fish sauce (nam plah) which luckily is for sale in sealed bottles (a whole 2m high, 12 metre long aisle is dedicated to it in one supermarket here). Unlike the shrimp paste in my sambal, fish sauce is an essential ingredient in the majority of Thai dishes so we're stuck with it. I have, however, learned to live with it.

Sometimes I cook food that deserves to be in the bin. Generally the food I cook is acceptable. Sometimes the meal is extraordinary - this evening's was the latter.

Gammon with roasted onions and potatoes, poached eggs, tomatoes and, of course, English mustard.

gammom roast 2 s.jpg

gammon roast eggbleed s.jpg

You're killing me with your eggs and ham, Yorky. :cook:

That sounds like a title in the book series "The dark side of Dr.Seuss"... :devil:

The local beef here is as tough as old boots. The free range chicken (known locally as racing chicken) has very little edible meat. But the pork is exceptional. And those eggs are duck eggs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom