What did you cook/eat today (March 2017)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The recipe didn't give the ingredient to bind it all together (just a small quantity of oil), so I used water (which I saw was used in another recipe). Once rolled out thinly and fried...it was very heavy, i.e. not that pleasant.

My Indian cookery book says to use milk and water to make a "slack, almost batter-like dough". It also says to leave it to stand for at least 1 1/2 hours, but preferably 8 hours or more, and to keep folding and rolling, brushing with melted butter - the more you do this, the crisper it will be. I've never tried it, but I could type out and paste the recipe later if you want.

My Indian cookery book says to use milk and water to make a "slack, almost batter-like dough". It also says to leave it to stand for at least 1 1/2 hours, but preferably 8 hours or more, and to keep folding and rolling, brushing with melted butter - the more you do this, the crisper it will be. I've never tried it, but I could type out and paste the recipe later if you want.

This sounds right. Its like a heavier version of puff pastry! The folding and rolling is the point.

Ah this method might make a difference so I will try it with the recipe I have (since I like the ingredients). Many thanks.

Are parathas supposed to be crisp then? I thought they could be rolled as a wrap...?

My tonight's dinner was the chicken-less left overs from yesterday :D I couldn't resist eating all the chicken. The mutt was not amused, partly because I used some of his chicken to make my meal (it is grade A British chicken, before you all start thinking I eat dog food :giggle:) and partly because my elderly cat beat him to the little bit I'd specially saved for him :roflmao:

Ah this method might make a difference so I will try it with the recipe I have (since I like the ingredients). Many thanks.

Are parathas supposed to be crisp then?

So he says, and he is Indian so he should know. He also gives several ideas for stuffed parathas.

My tonight's dinner was the chicken-less left overs from yesterday :D I couldn't resist eating all the chicken. The mutt was not amused, partly because I used some of his chicken to make my meal (it is grade A British chicken, before you all start thinking I eat dog food :giggle:) and partly because my elderly cat beat him to the little bit I'd specially saved for him :roflmao:
That's ok. My daughter came over one day when I was preparing the dog's meals. She ate the scraps I wasn't giving him. It was rotisserie chicken and I don't like giving him all that skin.

Though now I just fix him chicken breasts and have been known to use his chicken for our meals.

Are parathas supposed to be crisp then? I thought they could be rolled as a wrap...?

They are layered and quite a heavy affair (very calorific), The outside should be a bit crispy. But they aren't designed for rolling or for a wrap as far as I know. The filled ones (and I think the recipe you have is supposed to be one of those) have the filling built in to the layers as it were. Unfortunately, the recipe you used does not explain the layering!

Here is a picture of 3 stuffed parathas. The filling has been layered and rolled into the dough:

6470515103_ddb990221c_o.jpg

Here is the same 'rolled up' so you can see the 'built in' filling (this is not a 'wrap').

6470515183_cd32d2f639_o.jpg

That's ok. My daughter came over one day when I was preparing the dog's meals. She ate the scraps I wasn't giving him. It was rotisserie chicken and I don't like giving him all that skin.

Though now I just fix him chicken breasts and have been known to use his chicken for our meals.

Mine has his chicken raw, so adding another couple of pieces of chicken to that already thawing is not a problem. The only problem is psyching myself up to wanting chicken.

My wife made bison tenderloins, nuked spuds, and a salad for dinner at home. I didn't get a chance to enjoy it :( because I had to be back at work early for my 7th straight day of long hours (12 hours +), and 21st straight day without a day off, so I treated myself to take out from a diner near my old house. Greek style lamb shanks over orzo, a salad, and dinner rolls. Pics later.

However, I did manage to just stay home long enough to help my boy make dessert: mozzarepas! :cook:

It's a NYC fusion dish of Columbian/Venezuelan style corn cakes called arepas, and Italian mozzarella cheese. You essentially butter and griddle a sandwich of two corn cakes with mozzarella cheese in between to glue them together. They are absolutely delicious!

A mozzarepa:

0331171818b.jpg

Last edited:
It's not overly sweet. The corn cakes are a little on the sweet side, and then there's the butter, and the saltiness of the mozz.

It's April (and that's not a joke - I'm no fool).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom