What did you cook/eat today (March 2017)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made a besan paratha (with chick pea flour and spices). Also an improvised carrot & red lentil soup.

I have never made a paratha before. The recipe didn't give the ingredient to bind it all together (just a small quantity of oil), so I used water (which I saw was used in another recipe). Once rolled out thinly and fried...it was very heavy, i.e. not that pleasant.

The soup was OK but a little salty from using a whole herb stock cube.

Last edited:
have never made a paratha before. The recipe didn't give the ingredient to bind it all together (just a small quantity of oil), so I used water (which I saw was used in another recipe). Once rolled out thinly and fried...it was very heavy, i.e. not that pleasant.
Parathas are kind of heavy - but you could make chapatis from besan flour. Do you have a link to the paratha recipe you used? I'd be interested to see.

Yes, it's this one. As you can see it doesn't give the binding ingredient. I was wondering whether some baking powder might have lightened it.

http://food.ndtv.com/recipe-besan-ke-paranthe-my-yellow-table-765165
This immediately strikes me as a poorly written recipe. For example: one onion - what are you supposed to do with it (grate it, chop it, slice it)?! Also, my understanding of a paratha is that it is layered but rolling and folding and rolling again. I will look up some paratha recipes. I haven't made them in a while because we prefer chapatis.

Last edited:
This immediately strikes me as a poorly written recipe. For example: one onion - what are you supposed to do with it (grate it, chop it, slice it)?! I will look up some chapati recipes. I haven't made them in a while because we prefer chapatis.
Yes I agree but I liked the ingredients and I did scan lots of other similar recipes not as tasty looking. It doesn't even give the quantity of ginger! Chapatis are very soft though aren't they? I dislike a flabby texture.

I have just posted the recipe for my last night's dinner, and I still have 3 cauliflowers in the fridge.....:D
In case it interests you - or anyone else - I have a cauliflower recipe that I want to try soon. Quite simple.

Cauliflower Couscous

Destalk and blitz the cauliflower until it is very fine. Heat oil in a frying pan and add cauliflower. (Maybe adding garlic would be good) Stir then cover for 5 mins to steam.

To this you can add chopped sun dried tomatoes, olives, fresh chopped herbs etc.

In case it interests you - or anyone else - I have a cauliflower recipe that I want to try soon. Quite simple.

Cauliflower Couscous

Destalk and blitz the cauliflower until it is very fine. Heat oil in a frying pan and add cauliflower. (Maybe adding garlic would be good) Stir then cover for 5 mins to steam.

To this you can add chopped sun dried tomatoes, olives, fresh chopped herbs etc.

Why aren't you entering it for the challenge? :D

Yes I agree but I liked the ingredients and I did scan lots of other similar recipes not as tasty looking. It doesn't even give the quantity of ginger! Chapatis are very soft though aren't they? I dislike a flabby texture.
Sorry - I edited my post a bit to make more sense. Yes they are 'flabbier'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom