Recipe Spicy raspberry chicken wings

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
8:53 AM
Fresh raspberries give a lovely tang to these spicy chicken wings. Its an easy recipe: marinate the wings, tip onto a baking tray and bake. The recipe is for six large wings but can easily be scaled up for more. Serve with a dip of your choice. I also served some 'off the bone' in a salad.

Ingredients (serves 2)
100g fresh raspberries
1 tbsp kashmiri chilli powder
½ tsp turmeric powder
2 fat cloves of garlic (grated)
1 tbsp honey
Pinch of salt
6 large chicken wings

Method
  1. Place raspberries, chilli powder, turmeric, garlic and honey in a large bowl and mash together with a fork. The result doesn’t need to be ‘smooth’.
  2. Add the chicken wings and turn them in the marinade until completely coated (its easiest to use your hands). Cover the bowl and marinate the chicken for at least an hour.
  3. Heat the oven to 180 C. Tip the chicken with its marinade onto a baking tray (I lined the tray with non-stick paper). Bake for 35 mins.

Do you make jam/ jelly by any chance?

Russ
Why yes I do as a matter of fact. I "can" them for later consumption. Right now I have a few jars of Hot Pepper Jelly in the pantry and I've just been commissioned to make a full batch for a lady in our neighborhood who bought some at the last Community Bake & Craft Sale. She found me through Mrs. Next Door Neighbor and we communicated that way.
My all time favorite though is Meyer Lemon Marmalade, MMM!

Lovely looking recipe Morning Glory . Craig was scrolling through and the Kashmiri chili powder caught my eye. I'll probably give this a go.

A place we go for dinner sometimes has a raspberry dipping sauce to go with breaded and fried cream cheese stuffed jalapeno peppers. It's a pretty darn good combo.

Lovely!
I did look up a sub for Kashmiri Chili Powder and Raspberries are in abundance here in Cowboyville AZ USA.

First time I tried a recipe calling for Kashmiri chili powder, I tried a substitute. Don't remember what it was though other than paprika.

But, I ordered some Kashmiri CP off Amazon, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MWFPMC8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1, and it made the same dish taste much better when I made it again. We've used it a couple times since. It's got a little bit of heat, though not much, and has a kind of fruity taste. We have really liked the dishes made with it.

I ordered some Kashmiri CP off Amazon, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MWFPMC8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1, and it made the same dish taste much better when I made it again. We've used it a couple times since. It's got a little bit of heat, though not much, and has a kind of fruity taste. We have really liked the dishes made with it.

That's exactly right - its not very hot but has a fruity taste. Paprika doesn't really have the same taste.

I made this yesterday, along with some chicken thighs for a salad like MG's. I scaled the recipe up 4x. I didn't use as much garlic since it was grated, basically just doubled it. But, I did use 4 Tbsp of the Kashmiri CP. Whew!!, it was spicy when just made, but cooled down considerably after the marinade (almost 4 hours) and the bake. I did keep some marinade out and added some extra honey and rice vinegar to make a vinaigrette for the salad. I haven't tasted it since I made it so will have to report back on that when we have the salad, probably tomorrow night.

When I make this again though, I will bake the chicken on a rack because either the juices from the chicken and/or the berries watered down the marinade. Maybe 1 or both were extra juicy, but I'd rather have the chicken surface more dry next time, but don't want to blot the marinade off because it bakes on. Other than the juiciness/watered down effect, the chicken tasted great (and was really moist and juicy inside) and we really liked it.

Oh, just for the Americans, 100 grams = about 3.5 ounces and 180C is 356F.

When I make this again though, I will bake the chicken on a rack because either the juices from the chicken and/or the berries watered down the marinade.

Mine came out quite dry on the surface - I think I might have a photo of it straight out of the oven on the baking paper. I'll have a look.

Here we are. As you can see - some of the marinade got burnt on the baking paper so I suppose it was quite 'liquid'. Maybe there is a way to thicken the marinade so it adheres better to the chicken.

Last edited:
I made a “jerk” style marinade on Friday and tossed sectioned wings in it. It was reasonably thick but after sitting in the fridge for 2 whole days due my weekend plans kept changing I ended up cooking them Sunday evening instead. The marinade looked quite wet at this point so I added 2 Tbls of cornflour and mixed it up really well with my hands before laying out the chicken on baking paper lined trays.

I didn’t set a timer so they were a little overdone (as was I, bloody exhausted!)

We had the salad last night for dinner and leftovers for lunch. Guess the heat in the oven is what destroys the heat from the chili powder because the dressing was still pretty darn spicy. I added even more honey last night and Craig even said it was pretty spicy. So, either cut down on the chili powder if you scale up the recipe unless you like things really spicy (I made 4x the recipe and used 4 Tbsp) or be prepared to add lots of honey and it will still be spicy. I have no idea how much honey I added, just kept adding until I could eat it without my mouth being on fire. I probably added 2-3 Tbsp of rice vinegar and a couple pinches salt and a pinch of black pepper. It did make a nicely flavored dressing though, just a bit spicy.

I'd probably cut down on the chili powder to 2, maybe 3 Tbsp depending on your tolerance, mix everything, take some out for the dressing if you are making it, then add the remaining chili powder and mix because the wings didn't have much spice at all.

We had the salad last night for dinner and leftovers for lunch. Guess the heat in the oven is what destroys the heat from the chili powder because the dressing was still pretty darn spicy.

To clarify - you made the salad dressing from some of the marinade?

If so, I imagine this would be far too spicy even though Kashmiri chilli is mild. I don't think its to do with the heating in the oven so much as the concentration of chilli in the marinade which would be very strong for a salad dressing.

I used raspberry vinegar and olive oil for the dressing on the salad I made - no chilli involved except that adhering to the cooked chicken in the salad.

To clarify - you made the salad dressing from some of the marinade?

If so, I imagine this would be far too spicy even though Kashmiri chilli is mild. I don't think its to do with the heating in the oven so much as the concentration of chilli in the marinade which would be very strong for a salad dressing.

I used raspberry vinegar and olive oil for the dressing on the salad I made - no chilli involved except that adhering to the cooked chicken in the salad.

Yes, with the addition of rice vinegar and more honey.

The baked on marinade on the chicken had hardly any spice to it, while the dressing was still quite spicy. Only difference was the heat...

Back
Top Bottom