Street food

Berties

Guru
Local time
11:10 PM
As normal if there's a food Fare on in the area I'm their ,and yesterday was a event called trout and about,it's held on the river test ,but got me thinking with our world wide members,what street foods there are local traditions or making use of local produce ,
We had bbq venison pulled haunch with fennel slaw
Rabbit burgers with A local tomato relish
And from the local buffalo herd ,buffalo burgers with chilli relish
All fast food within a 15 mile radius
There was also local gin,cider,and apple juice ,beer to wash it down within the same local povidence
So come on what local goodies do you get to eat on the move ,forget the chains ,let's get local

When you said rabbit burgers are you referring to rabbit meat as the main ingredient? I have not eaten any rabbit meat yet I wonder how they taste like and if it leaves an after taste? Basing it from the fair's name Trout and about I am expecting some trouts to be found on the menu.

Wow, that does sound like quite the eclectic mix of foods there!

Right now I'm living in Japan and common street food are onigiri, yakitori and takoyaki. Onigiri are rice balls that are usually wrapped in seaweed and have a filling such as tuna, yakitori is just grilled meat on skewer sticks, and takoyaki are fried octopus in ball shapes.

Popular street food around here are Pogos (Corn dogs)
upload_2015-8-10_9-1-3.png

Donairs (best food ever)
upload_2015-8-10_9-1-28.png

poutine
upload_2015-8-10_9-2-10.png

and beavertails

When you said rabbit burgers are you referring to rabbit meat as the main ingredient? I have not eaten any rabbit meat yet I wonder how they taste like and if it leaves an after taste? Basing it from the fair's name Trout and about I am expecting some trouts to be found on the menu.
funny there was about 3 suppliers there of trout ,not really doing much business,a bit of smoked trout to take home but no real eat it now food end products ,what people seemed to be buying

Over here, our street food is the leftover parts of chicken, pork and beef that are not normally bought in the market. Beef intestines and chicken instestines are cut and made into barbecue. Pork nose and ears are also cut in slices and made into barbecue. Eggs are boiled then rolled into corn starch before frying. Those are just samples of street food that we have aside from the popular fried fish balls and fried squid balls. The most important ingredient of these street foods is the dip made from vinegar and soy sauce that is cooked with corn starch and filled with chili. Nice to eat.

Reactions: L_B
What are these beavertails? And the poutine? It looks like chips and gravy...

Yes it is chips and gravy and cheese curds. That is the traditional way but they also make it with hamburger added or Italian style with pasta sauce instead of gravy.
You can use different cheese and toppings to suit your taste.

I recently went to a poutine challenge and there were over 20 different poutines there. They allowed us to have a sample taste of each one. It was awesome!

Ohh, everyone I know that has ever been to Canada raves about Beavertails! That, Tim Hortons, and Nanaimo Bars are the three things that everyone seems to adore...

Oh yes everybody loves our Beavertails. They are really good! Can't come to Canada without going to Tim Hortons. Nanaimo Bars are delicious!! They are very sweet but a nice treat!

upload_2015-8-11_9-24-55.png

These are BeaverTails. The BeaverTails pastry is a fried dough pastry topped with a choice of sweet condiments, such as whipped cream, banana slices, crumbled oreos, and Nutella.

Last edited:
Nothing over the top here. I spoke about our local highlight of street food being a weekend affair. It's mostly about grilled fish but other meats are thrown in. There is music and some dancing in some pockets of the area but many make the trip to the venue for their grilled fish of any kind.Blue Marlin, Dolphin, King Fish, Bill Fish and Tuna are just some of what is on offer.

I am boring for a while now, so I don't get there or get out much. On the odd occasion I'd have someone grab me a fish platter. Another thing with me is that I usually don't like to watch when my food is being prepared. Almost always I see something I don't like.

View attachment 1316
These are BeaveTtails. The BeaverTails pastry is a fried dough pastry topped with a choice of sweet condiments, such as whipped cream, banana slices, crumbled oreos, and Nutella.
Oh gosh. I'm afraid I wouldn't like that at all. Far to sweet for me. I'll stick with the chips and gravy if I ever come to Canada. Interesting, the addition of cheese curds.

I love anything barbecued, skewered and lathered with sauce. Street foods are especially delicious because it's fast, good and comforting. My favorite street food in Asia is fried noodles, pork, chicken or beef skewers (most of which are internal organs). Lately cicadas and grasshoppers are getting a lot of good reviews as skewered street food. They're pretty good fried and they're heavy in protein. :)

Nope - rabbit is not as 'gamey' as you might expect. Not as bland as chicken but not as strong as venison [or even hare].
Up here in county Durham there are 'European' food fairs usually around Christmas time with cheeses, sausage, ham - too much to try it all really but 'local' produce is often quite limited availability.

Most usual fast food in Serbia is grilled one. Basically it is all about Pljeskavica (Serbian Burger) and some other things from the grill. It is served in buns or tortillas. And you can choose some salads, sauces or dips with it.

http://sarajevski-cevapi.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/cevapi.jpg
These are Ćevapi. Bade of meat and onions they are also served in buns like burgers.

http://www.za-vas.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/pljeskavica-burger.jpg
Pljeskavica (Burger)

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/36/1b/36/361b36985a42300f57f7ff873b289965.jpg
Ražnjići (Meat on Skewer)

Many more products also based on meat.

Back
Top Bottom