Suggestions for the next Cookalong

So far the dishes with most votes remain:
Game pie (3)
Welsh Cakes (3)
Goulash (2)

I am taking an executive decision to rule out Welsh Cakes (sorry @LadyBelle) on the grounds that a few of us are making them anyway and posting the results in the Welsh Cakes thread. Also, although its a lovely recipe, it isn't really a challenging recipe as its similar to a basic scone recipe.

If I take my vote out we are left with Game Pie and Goulash with 2 votes each. Please correct me if I am wrong.

On the grounds that Goulash has produced most discussion and debate, I propose Goulash for the next Cookalong. I would rather have Game Pie as it would be a learning curve for me but I suspect only one or two of us might Cookalong if this was chosen.

Any real objections...?
To keep everyone happy, how about goulash this time, and game pie next?

When I started looking into different goulash recipes, I was surprised to see such a sharp divide between different interpretations: there seems to be a Hungarian Goulash and an American Goulash. The one you saw, I'm guessing, had noodles and ground beef as part of the dish. While many places call this simply a goulash, I'd say it's undeniably an American goulash.

It's also interesting to see reactions to something that is so identified with a nationality: people posting recipes that they swear are authentic are challenged by other people who are of Hungarian ancestry who claim that, no, you can't have sour cream with it or, yes, you must include caraway seeds. There aren't many Hungarian restaurants near me, but I do want to find one that's highly acclaimed so I can see how the experts do it (and, even there, I'm sure there will be argument about whether or not it's authentic).
I have used up minced beef in a goulash - in fact I think one I posted on What did you cook/eat today a while back was made with mince. Her one, if I recall correctly, was made from broken up burgers and definitely did not appeal on looks, although it probably tasted very nice.
As far as authenticity is concerned, I had my first ever taste of goulash in Salzburg in 1964. It was probably an authentic Austrian goulash rather than a Hungarian one (don't forget Hungary, as well as lot of eastern Europe and northern Italy, all used to be part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire at one time). As the Wikipedia page shows, there are many different dishes from many [eastern European] countries which are called goulash, but they are not Hungarian! Even in Hungary, the recipe seems to have evolved over the years. The ones I quoted as examples are possibly the nearest I have got. My cookery book was actually first published in 1958, but even that may be construed as modern!

Back
Top Bottom