Superfoods don't exist!

Alunny

Veteran
Local time
3:01 PM
Website
www.jades-world.com
Oops! So if you're like me you probably really were excited by one superfood at one time or another. It's really easy to get sucked in with all the marketing they put into it so don't feel bad, feel cheated and lied to! :wink: It's extremely easy to fall into this trap because of the noise that's surrounding the foods. There's so many sales sites and bogus (or biased) studies that it's very difficult to know what's what and who's who.

I've been watching this fantastic consumer rights series "At The Checkout" here in Australia and this episode explained that superfoods don't exist! I was a bit surprised and disheartened....but it's better to be disabused than to be abused! :wink:

I wouldn't say superfoods don't exist. It is a fact that some foods are better for you than others (higher in nutrients, whatever, etc etc) so perhaps in a way that's what superfoods really mean. If you looked at all the superfoods we've had in the market, they're basically something (a fruit or grain or anything) that has more nutrient/fibre content than their counterparts.

Plus superfood is so subjective, as with all food. Just because one food may work well for me in terms of nutrients and such, doesn't mean another will due to food allergies or something that a person may not like.

Are you sure? I'm not saying that there are certain types of food that have everything you need. I do believe that some food varieties have more nutrients and health benefits than others. Take for instance Moringa. That's a vegetable rich in almost several vitamins and minerals, not to mention anti-cancer elements.

If you watch the video it explains that most of them have far less nutrient wise than their alternatives, and the rest are roughly the same. The only way that they are super is that they are a fad - a fad endorsed by the people who sell them and have stocks in them.

All of their claims are completely bogus in an attempt to sell more of it, and most of the claims are the same.

If you look into Moringa it's leaves are rich in protein, vitamin A, vitamin B, vitamin C, and minerals. A 100-g portion of fresh moringa leaves has 9.3 g protein, 434 mg calcium, 404 mg potassium, 738 μg vitamin A, and 164 mg vitamin C, which is awesome, however potatos and other vegetables seem to have similar stats too, so it's not a miracle.

ALSO note that it's "cancer fighting" because of antioxidants in it (so not cancer fighting at all just antioxidant). If you have a diet rich in antioxidants it can actually backfire and cause cell damage. I think the video also mentions that, but if not you can Google it, there's tonnes of studies about it.

Oops! So if you're like me you probably really were excited by one superfood at one time or another. It's really easy to get sucked in with all the marketing they put into it so don't feel bad, feel cheated and lied to! :wink: It's extremely easy to fall into this trap because of the noise that's surrounding the foods. There's so many sales sites and bogus (or biased) studies that it's very difficult to know what's what and who's who.

I've been watching this fantastic consumer rights series "At The Checkout" here in Australia and this episode explained that superfoods don't exist! I was a bit surprised and disheartened....but it's better to be disabused than to be abused! :wink:

I call them superior foods. I think the superfood term is just used to make money. People will be more interested in the food when you add the term "super". Foods like papaya, Avocado, berries, these are superior if you ask me.

Some ingredients are better than others. Which ever ingredient it is, it's super healthy according to some "experts" and will pretty much kill you on sight according to other "experts." This is what "nutritional professionals" have come to, since they rely on you to click the link / buy the book / watch the tv show in order for them to make money.

All you really need is common sense. If you look 50 years back in time, do you think half the people had any idea of words such as calories, antioxidants or carbohydrates? This is the new craze and it's good business, which is the only reason it's in the media so much.

I can't watch the video, it's disabled in my country. I think there are super foods in the sense that some foods are much more nutrient dense than others but I think people get excited that they'll be a magic pill. These foods aren't going to cure diseases or make you feel better instantly but I think they can have a positive impact on your health if you choose them over less healthy foods. I think blueberries, and chia seeds are a great addition to the diet but of course they are not miracles. People need to be sensible about their expectations.

I'll have to support the others who have commented and say that a food like KALE, for instance, is far more nutrient-dense than any processed foods. I absolutely loved the comment that called them SUPERIOR foods. If what you're trying to say is that people who promote things like: "THIS EUCALYPTUS ESSENCE FOUND UNDER A SHELFTOP IN NEW GUINEA IS THE NEW CURE FOR CANCER" are fat liars whose purpose is to trick people into buying their products, then I absolutely agree. But having a diverse diet which contains foods rich in vitamins like C, K, E, B12, etc. is much better than one which contains overprocessed foods, bought from fast food chains. It just feels more natural.

[/QUOTE]

Video is attractive. But I don't believe this woman. I have managed my health with super foods. Hemp Seeds, moringa leaves & pods, drumsticks, Amla berries and much more. I used to take too many supplements and now I have replaced them with foods I can locally get. Infact I dont just eat them. I juice them. I have a moringa tree in my backyard, so I just add leaves to my juice. A couple of Amla berries , they are local here. And a spoon of turmeric powder, again we use turmeric a lot while cooking here in India.

Meanwhile I will take superfoods anyday over prescription medicines.

Also one more thing that made a difference to my energy levels is coconut milk. Not store bought. I make my own!
:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I also would prefer superfoods over medicine if possible. I know an old nutritionist who swears he cured his wife's cancer with diet, exercise, and a diet including a mushroom called Agaricus Brasillensis.

However, the next time I tie a long, red towel around my neck, and wear my underwear over my tights, I expect to fly over tall buildings if they really are superfoods.:p:

I also would prefer superfoods over medicine if possible. I know an old nutritionist who swears he cured his wife's cancer with diet, exercise, and a diet including a mushroom called Agaricus Brasillensis.

However, the next time I tie a long, red towel around my neck, and wear my underwear over my tights, I expect to fly over tall buildings if they really are superfoods.:p:
hahaha

Well I think exclusion of denatured artificial food is as important as inclusion of real foods in the diet. For me exclusion of the store bought rubbish I was eating made a huge difference.

I believe in real food, in that sense.

My dad lived to 93 by living on simple, whole foods prepared simply. Simple roasts or grilled meats, lots of simply steamed vegetables, and lesser steamed or boiled potatoes.

Back
Top Bottom