Supper Club

LadyBelle

Veteran
Local time
2:04 AM
IMG_1657.JPG
IMG_1654.JPG
IMG_1656.JPG

Last night I had my first Supper Club experience and it was really good. Managed to persuade my friend from work to come along as it was in my favourite tearoom and was hosted by one of favourite blog writers - who also got through to the knockout stages of Masterchef.

Food was really good! Venue lovely. Slight issue with seating so Cath and I ended up sitting rather awkwardly (not caused by the venue, caused by a very awkward, noisy group on the end of our table), so conversation was rather difficult. Met some lovely people (it was a two big tables set up so everyone could mix), including a restaurant reviewer for Cardiff Life - which I discovered is actually produced from Bath.

It was a strange evening for me - as I am finding it increasingly difficult to be in rooms full of strangers, trying to make conversation and as I'm having issues with my hearing the noise levels were problematic. However I did really enjoy and I'm glad I did push myself out of my comfort zone as it was worth it.

It was a BYO with corkage too which was interesting. I was driving so not able to partake but it was interesting to see the variety of drinks brought along by everyone. I did indulge in the saffron infused spiced gin welcome drink, which was amazing. Thinking I might have a little try of making it myself soon.

http://www.kitchenclonc.com/?m=0

Last edited by a moderator:
Its interesting you posted this @LadyBelle . I was listening the Food Programme: How We Eat: 2. Eating with Strangers on Radio 4 today which looked at the origins of the 'supper club' movement. Fascinating! I just wish there was one in Maidstone.

Its good that you pushed yourself ou of the comfort zone. I also find noise levels a problem so I empathise.

Its interesting you posted this @LadyBelle . I was listening the Food Programme: How We Eat: 2. Eating with Strangers on Radio 4 today which looked at the origins of the movement. Fascinating! I just wish there was one in Maidstone.

Its good that you pushed yourself ou of the comfort zone. I also find noise levels a problem so I empathise.

It was a two and a half hour round trip for me, so I really wish there was one closer to home.

Spent most of the day feeling shattered as I didn't get home until after 1am, and just don't have the energy anymore. Was thoroughly enjoyable though.

Is Supper Club dining in the U.K. similar to Chef's Table dining in the U.S.?

We had a Chef's Table dining experience on a cruise. A wonderful experience for the reasonable price of $90 per person. A 7 course meal with wine pairings. The meal was hosted by the ship's Executive Chef who presented and described each course. The Sommelier poured the wine, described the attributes of each and the reason each wine was selected for each course.

The seating was limited to 6 couples. Very intimate and lots of fun.

My Nephew (Niece's husband) worked as a Line Chef at Brennan's Restaurant in Houston, Tx. for several years. They have Chef's Table dining. The dining area is adjacent to the kitchen. Diners can see their meal being prepared. The dining area is limited to 6 couples and the kitchen sounds are buffered by a glass wall. Unfortunately it is very pricey $200+ per person. With wine parings $250+ for a 7 course meal.

It is on my "Bucket List". The ideal situation would be for George to bring a client and spouse to dinner. On the company. Unfortunately the idea of a multi course meal is beyond anything that George could enjoy. The capacity of his stomach is so small that he could not even eat 1 bite of food from each course.

Several of our favorite restaurants have a monthly Pre Fix tasting menu. Usually a 3 course meal. Diners are presented with 3 or 4 options for a starter, entre' and desert.

Wine pairings are suggested but not included.

Is Supper Club dining in the U.K. similar to Chef's Table dining in the U.S.?

It isn't quite the same - Supper Clubs are clubs based in a specific region. Usually you pay an annual subscription and there will be a regular series of special meals out organised which you can attend. There are quite a few in London as you might imagine, but I can't find anything similar near to me. I think they are mainly aimed at individuals who want to dine out occasionally but don't want to go alone (I think that was how the first supper club began. The founder was a single mother who found that dinner parties were mainly aimed at couples. I think they are a great idea.

Your experience on the cruise sonds fab! The Chef's dining table sounds similar to the Tasting Menus which are available in high end restaurants in the UK. Usually many (smallish) courses with wine pairings. They are pricey!

Back
Top Bottom