SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
6:32 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
My preference is to use previously frozen extra firm tofu, that's been defrosted and well drained. I find that the structure of tofu changes after freezing and you can get a lot more liquid out of the tofu. I also find it easier to throw the cubed tofu into my airfryer to crisp up. If you don't have an airfryer, you can shallow fry them in a little oil.

20240226_180831.jpg

I also prefer tamari over soy sauce, but the choice is yours. And I'm using UK terminology for cornflour. In the USA, it's cornstarch.

Ingredients
For the Tofu:

400-500g frozen, defrosted extra firm tofu
2 tsp rice vinegar
2 tsp tamari
½ tsp ground black pepper
3 tbsp cornflour (UK terminology) or tapioca starch
¼ tsp baking powder
Spray oil from a can (I used coconut oil)

For the Sauce:
2 tsp canola oil
1½ tbsp minced ginger
1½ tbsp minced garlic
3-4 spring onion whites
½-1 tbsp shatta/sambal oelek/sriracha sauce or chilli paste
2-3 tbsp tomato ketchup
2 tbsp tamari
1 tbsp white vinegar
1 tbsp maple syrup
50ml apple juice
¼ tsp salt
⅛ tsp white pepper ground
½ small onion, finely chopped
½ green pepper, chopped
1 tbsp cornflour/tapioca starch
175ml water,

For Garnish:
Sliced green spring onion

Method
  1. Drain the tofu well, and press between clean t-towels to remove as much moisture as possible. Now dice the tofu into 1cm³ cubes. Place to cubed tofu into a bowl, add the vinegar, tamari and black pepper and mix. Now sprinkle over the cornflour and baking powder and mix well. If you are using an airfryer, lightly spray the cubed tofu with a spray oil (or toss the cubes in a sealed bag with the oil) and cook in the air fryer for 12 minutes or so at 180°C. Try to toss the tofu once or twice during this time.
  2. Meanwhile ,cook your basmati rice according to instructions.
  3. And at the same time, in a large skillet, add 1tsp canola oil, the ginger, the garlic and the white spring onion slices. Cook briefly, 1 minute, then add the shatta, tomato ketchup, tamari, vinegar, maple syrup and apple juice. Mix well and add the salt & pepper.
  4. Mix the cornflour with the water and add to the skillet, return to the boil and allow the sauce to thicken whilst stirring. Stir in the remaining veg (onion & green pepper) and simmer for 3 minutes until the peppers just start to soften.
  5. Finally add the cooked tofu to the skillet, stir in well so all the cubes are thoroughly coated with the sauce and serve over rice. Sprinkle the green spring onion slices over the top as a garnish.
20240226_180516.jpg

The recipe is based on Vegan Honey Chilli Tofu (One-Pan!)

Back
Top Bottom