The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
2:20 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
IMG_0896.JPG

No matter how you spell it, tabbouli/tabouli/tabbouleh is a tasty, refreshing side or opening to a meal. Or, do what I do and snack on it. I decided to remove the usual bulgar wheat from the recipe because of my brother's gluten intolerance, and I've found that I like it better that way. I love highlighting the mint in this recipe, and not just because it's the latest recipe challenge ingredient. Since a "bunch" isn't a specific quantity, make sure there's a 2:1 ratio of parsley to mint to get the taste just right.

Ingredients

2 bunches parsley leaves, finely chopped
1 bunch mint leaves, finely chopped
2 tomatoes, diced
1/2 onion, diced
3 tablespoons lemon juice
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon of salt, adjusted to taste

Directions

1. Combine all ingredients. Add salt if needed.
  2. Refrigerate for at least half an hour to allow ingredients to settle fully.

Please forgive me for saying this but I don't think it can be called tabbouleh without bulgur though I think some versions use couscous. It does look delicious though. :happy:

I remember eating tabbouleh in Israel a few years ago. I was surprised by just how much green herbs were in it. The versions we get here are more grain than green!

Please forgive me for saying this but I don't think it can be called tabbouleh without bulgur though I think some versions use couscous. It does look delicious though. :happy:

I remember eating tabbouleh in Israel a few years ago. I was surprised by just how much green herbs were in it. The versions we get here are more grain than green!
Yes...I understand that sentiment. Past attempts have been about trying to get the balance right between the grain and the green. I see some recipes calling for a cup of wheat for the above proportions, at which point it almost becomes a bowl of cereal. Were I to include it, I'd put in 1/4 cup of bulgur so there's just a bit here and there as a little surprise.

I've had tabbouleh at middle eastern restaurants (which are superb in the Detroit area, particularly in Dearborn, where I work), and they consistently highlight the greens and downplay the wheat. The mint is what I love about this recipe, but I've found that a 50:50 balance of mint parsley is actually too much.

@The Late Night Gourmet

Lovely salad ..

I am not a fan of Bulgar grain and prefer to abstain.

When I was in Morocco, we had it with Cous cous and it was amazingly wonderful ..

However, I think your salad is lovely and shall give it a go .. Like the idea of serving it in glass stemware or a verrine too ..

I have prepared it with cous cous and we enjoy it once in awhile .. Of course, separately, we enjoy it with other Mezze, such as hummus, feta and Kalamata olives, falafel and babaghanuj ..

Thanks for posting ..

Back
Top Bottom