Tell us about your chopping boards

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
7:04 PM
Do you use different chopping boards for meat, fish and vegetables? What material are your boards made from - and how do you clean them? Do you have a special favourite chopping board?

I have about ten IKEA plastic cutting boards in two sizes for daily use. I can use one, and pop it right into the dishwasher.

I also have BooS Block maple cutting board that I found at Home Goods (overstock store in US) for a great price, but mostly bought it to use in food photos -- which I do on rare occasions. It has to be hand washed, and oiled with BooS Block oil, so it is NOT for daily use.

1694642481467.png

My IKEA plastic cutting boards look like this. There are two sizes... roughly 5 by 7 inches, and 12 by 18 inches.

1694645151416.png

CD

Last edited:
1 main board wood. Top red meat, bottom chicken.
Another spare board used occasionally.
Both boards washed after use and dried in a warm oven. Leftover heat from a meal.
We have a few plastic ones but I like the wooden ones I use.

Russ

Here are mine:

First up, JK Adams maple reversible cutting/carving board, 20-in X 14-in:
IMG_5745.jpeg

IMG_5744.jpeg

The carving side actually works really well to hold a roast chicken or smaller turkey. I don’t like the garbage collection channel on the cutting side, though - I’d rather just have the extra space to chop stuff.

It’s also a board that takes a lot of oiling, pretty much after every washing. Lately, I’ve been using a board wax (mixture of mineral oil and beeswax), but it’s very thirsty.

I use it every day, for smaller amounts of vegetables going right into a pan, or for cooked meat. It stays out and available.

Next is my Teakhaus board, teak (obviously), both sides the same, 24-in X 18-in, so it’s the biggest board I have:

IMG_5746.jpeg

That’s the one I use for a lot of vegetables, like making a salad. I also use it for kneading doughs and shaping pizzas. It also stays out all the time.

It doesn’t need a whole lot of oiling, it’s sort of self-maintaining that way, so I treat it maybe once every couple of months.

Here are mine:

First up, JK Adams maple reversible cutting/carving board, 20-in X 14-in:
View attachment 104768

View attachment 104769

The carving side actually works really well to hold a roast chicken or smaller turkey. I don’t like the garbage collection channel on the cutting side, though - I’d rather just have the extra space to chop stuff.

It’s also a board that takes a lot of oiling, pretty much after every washing. Lately, I’ve been using a board wax (mixture of mineral oil and beeswax), but it’s very thirsty.

I use it every day, for smaller amounts of vegetables going right into a pan, or for cooked meat. It stays out and available.

I love that board. Never seen anything like it ?
I like the "drip catcher"

Russ

My miscellaneous ones:

The smaller plastic one I mainly use for bar stuff, like slicing up citrus. It’s about the size of a salad plate.

The larger one (though it’s not that large) is what I use for raw meat. That’s about it for that one.
IMG_5747.jpeg

These two are in my picnic hamper. The (very) small one (not much bigger than a teacup saucer) came with the hamper. The other one was part of a set that included a Wüsthof chef’s knife. It’s maybe 12-in X 8-in. Both are used mainly for fruit and cheese on picnics:
IMG_5748.jpeg

This last one is my bread board. It’s from Cuisinart and came with something else, but I don’t know what. It’s also about 12-in X 8-in. It showed up here most recently when I posted the charcuterie board I put together for our recent houseguest:
IMG_5749.jpeg

My miscellaneous ones:

The smaller plastic one I mainly use for bar stuff, like slicing up citrus. It’s about the size of a salad plate.

The larger one (though it’s not that large) is what I use for raw meat. That’s about it for that one.
View attachment 104772

These two are in my picnic hamper. The (very) small one (not much bigger than a teacup saucer) came with the hamper. The other one was part of a set that included a Wüsthof chef’s knife. It’s maybe 12-in X 8-in. Both are used mainly for fruit and cheese on picnics:
View attachment 104773

This last one is my bread board. It’s from Cuisinart and came with something else, but I don’t know what. It’s also about 12-in X 8-in. It showed up here most recently when I posted the charcuterie board I put together for our recent houseguest:
View attachment 104774

You are complicated arent you. ? But in a nice way.
A boards a board here lmao

Russ

Russ

I have about ten IKEA plastic cutting boards in two sizes for daily use. I can use one, and pop it right into the dishwasher.

Same here though not ten and not IKEA. I value the fact I can pop them in the dishwasher. Why ten? I have two.

Another question to all; where do you store them? Mine are stacked propped on end on the kitchen counter.

Another question to all; where do you store them?
The two big wood ones stay out all the time, as does the bread board. The little plastic one is in the bar, the big plastic one is in a cabinet, and the two picnic ones are in the picnic hamper.

Same here though not ten and not IKEA. I value the fact I can pop them in the dishwasher. Why ten? I have two.

So I have enough that I don't have to wash boards while I am cooking? When I switch from meat to veggies, I just toss the meat board in the dishwasher, and grab a fresh board for the veggies. No chance of cross-contamination. They are dirt cheap, so why not have plenty?

I store them standing up in a lower cabinet. I built a rack in the cabinet to hold them standing vertically. They take up very little space.

CD

Last edited:
I have just the 1 chopping board.

20230915_072958.jpg

We splashed out and bought a $25 (skogsta) (£12.50) one this time around instead of the $8 (Aptitlag) we previously had.

The old one is now under the airfryer.
20230915_073021.jpg

As for cleaning it. It usually just gets wiped down with a cloth. Maybe once every 6 months I'll remember to bleach it, dry it and throw some olive oil at it, but it's not worth worrying about for this household. It's not like I'm cutting up meat or fish, so I don't typically worry about it much.

Back
Top Bottom