Tell us about your chopping boards

Four boring nylon (or plastic) cutting boards. Replaced when showing signs of "damage".

Chopping boards s.jpg

Here’s what I use right now for keeping my wooden boards liquid-resistant:

IMG_5767.jpeg

Here’s the test - no absorbing allowed!
IMG_5779.jpeg

For those who regularly use wooden boards - how do you deal with the inevitable (for me, anyway) residual onion and garlic odors getting into the board?

No matter how quickly or thoroughly I wash them, no matter how oiled/waxed they are, eventually, I’ll get a little whiff of the sharpness of those when I’m using it, or even worse, a taste of it after cutting an apple up, something like that.

I’ve gone the route of letting it sit for a while with lemon juice on it, I’ve also deodorized it with baking soda, but I’m curious what others are doing.

For those who regularly use wooden boards - how do you deal with the inevitable (for me, anyway) residual onion and garlic odors getting into the board?

No matter how quickly or thoroughly I wash them, no matter how oiled/waxed they are, eventually, I’ll get a little whiff of the sharpness of those when I’m using it, or even worse, a taste of it after cutting an apple up, something like that.

I’ve gone the route of letting it sit for a while with lemon juice on it, I’ve also deodorized it with baking soda, but I’m curious what others are doing.
I've never noticed it before, so I don't do anything. Our chopping board its usually lucky to see a dishcloth with water. Usually is just a dry towel to brush crumbs off but ours is nowhere near as worn as yours which could be your issue.

the "theory" that wood 'sucks' moisture/bacteria in -
and the absence of moisture, causes bacteria to dry out and die . . .

. . . .is a recent and historical "proven" thing.
there are non-believers.

I personally have had edge grain and end grain cutting boards for . . . omg . . .50 years +/-
hot towel wiped clean, dry towel wiped, oiled/waxed per routine.

"butcher blocks" in USA and multiple European shops support the theory / / / /
"wood works"

recent 'testing' does _NOT_ support the grooves / slicing knife "damage" set through a "dishwasher" results in "sanitized"

so, embrace your own assumptions.

the "theory" that wood 'sucks' moisture/bacteria in -
and the absence of moisture, causes bacteria to dry out and die . . .

. . . .is a recent and historical "proven" thing.
there are non-believers.
I think there's a wider consideration as well, and it's this pathological, often hysterical fear of "germs" and "bacteria". Germs and bacteria are omnipresent: they're part of our everyday lives and they are everywhere and anywhere. Human mouths contain around 20 billion bacteria. Our immune system builds to protect us against germs and bacteria.
However, there are many who believe they will imminently pass away if their kitchen/house/environment is not blasted with millions of cans of Lysol, alcohol, creosote, chlorine, etc.
Germs and bacteria are here to stay, just like mosquitoes, Covid, the flu, cockroaches and dirt.
The latest hysteria of having cooks wearing masks and using surgical gloves is, to be honest, absurd. It also makes it more difficult to avoid food with slivers of latex in it.

The latest hysteria of having cooks wearing masks and using surgical gloves is, to be honest, absurd. It also makes it more difficult to avoid food with slivers of latex in it.
I guess that's country dependant.

Over here, it's business as usual in the catering industry. If someone wants to wear a mask they can, but they don't have to whilst cooking or waiting on, etc.

However, depending on the state/territory, masks are mandatory in medical situations. So my doctors surgery/physiotherapist/dentist being in NSW, masks are mandatory for staff and patients alike. However just down the road in ACT, even in hospital, masks are not mandatory for visitors or patients (strongly encouragd, just not mandatory), just mandatory for staff.

Back
Top Bottom