The best ways to eat/use Marmite

caseydog

Local time
6:40 PM
[Mod.edit: this post and a few other moved to form new topic (MG)]

I found this little jar in Kroger that I may regret paying seven bucks for. I'll spread it thinly on a plain cracker, and hopefully not :sick:.

1692572484094.jpeg

CD :laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:
It’ll be better on toast, IMO, but “better” is a relative term…very relative in this case.

I thought of toast first, but I don't keep sliced bread around the house. I bought lightly salted saltine crackers (yes, an oxymoron), because I eat those with cheese or peanut butter all the time.

CD

Our preferred (aka only) way of eating it was spread very thinly in a cheese sandwich. It pairs well with cheese.

What kind of cheese? If the Marmite on a cracker doesn't kill me, I could try it with some cheese on a cracker.

BTW, there are some American foods I won't allow in mouth, too, so I'm not just picking on the British.

CD

What kind of cheese? If the Marmite on a cracker doesn't kill me, I could try it with some cheese on a cracker.

BTW, there are some American foods I won't allow in mouth, too, so I'm not just picking on the British.

CD
We use to eat a lot of cheddar or Jarlsberg for sandwiches.

I also found this little jar in Kroger that I may regret paying seven bucks for. I'll spread it thinly on a plain cracker, and hopefully not :sick:.

View attachment 103945

CD :laugh:
I'd very thinly spread on bread with a lot of butter. Using it neat however thinly is not the best way especially if you aren't used to it. I love it but wouldn't eat it neat on a cracker for preference. Don't forget you can use a little in a stock or gravy to flavour it.

A little mixed in with peanut butter on bread is also good as a spread.

I thought of toast first, but I don't keep sliced bread around the house. I bought lightly salted saltine crackers (yes, an oxymoron), because I eat those with cheese or peanut butter all the time.

CD
I wouldn't. Marmite needs butter or something to help.it spread and mellow the taste. Soft white bread or toast is a good base. A crisp cracker especially a slightly salty one isn't the place to start.

Sorry to sound didactic but I'm trying to advise so you don't get put off immediately. Neat Marmite on anything is difficult unless you are hard core.

Here is the approximate amount of Marmite I use on a standard slice of bread. Butter or plant based spread on first. Then approximately a qarter of a tsp. of Marmite:. You may want even less if you are new to Marmite:

20230821_140037.jpg

20230821_140204.jpg

Sometimes I put another slice of buttered bread in top to make a sandwich. You can replace butter with peanut butter.

Last edited:
I'll move these Marmite posts to a new topc later. Here is the approximate amount of Marmite I use on a standard slice of bread. Butter or plant based spread on first. Then approximately a qarter of a tsp. of Marmite:. You may want even less if you are new to Marmite:

View attachment 103981

View attachment 103980

Sometimes I put another slice of buttered bread in top to make a sandwich. You can replace butter with peanut butter.

Now, you are making me nervous about eating this stuff. :eek:

CD

Now, you are making me nervous about eating this stuff. :eek:

CD

Sorry. I feel like I'm saying the same thing again (well I am!). Please don't try eating it on a salty cracker. It has a salty intense taste and needs mild flavours with it, as well as some 'lubrication'. Less is more, where Marmite is concerned and it needs balance in terms of what its served with. For cheese, Jarlsberg as SatNavSaysStraightOn mentioned is a good cheese to fit the bill, because its mild and slightly sweet. But you need bread or very plain crackers with it.

Many prefer Vegemite (the Aussie version). Its much milder.

Back
Top Bottom