The best ways to eat/use Marmite

Spread it thin on toast or crackers. A good strong Cheddar works well, but so does a strong white cheese, like Cheshire, Lancashire, Wensleydale or Venezuelan "queso de año"
Works well with peanut butter. Adds a wonderful umami touch.
Use it gravy (if you like the stuff) for roast or grilled meat and chicken.
Add some to your stew.
Or you could browse through these recipes and see if something catches your eye:
Marmite Rules

Last edited:
Sorry. I feel like I'm saying the same thing again (well I am!). Please don't try eating it on a salty cracker. It has a salty intense taste and needs mild flavours with it, as well as some 'lubrication'. Less is more, where Marmite is concerned and it needs balance in terms of what its served with. For cheese, Jarlsberg as SatNavSaysStraightOn mentioned is a good cheese to fit the bill, because its mild and slightly sweet. But you need bread or very plain crackers with it.

Many prefer Vegemite (the Aussie version). Its much milder.

I don't have Jarlsberg, but I do have some Emmental and some Gruyère.

CD

Spread it thin on toast or crackers. A good strong Cheddar works well, but so does a strong white cheese, like Cheshire, Lancashire, Wensleydale or Venezuelan "queso de año"
Works well with peanut butter. Adds a wonderful umami touch.
Use it gravy (if you like the stuff) for roast or grilled meat and chicken.
Add some to your stew.
Or you could browse through these recipes and see if something catches your eye:
Marmite Rules

I have some cheddar and also some peanut butter. I can't eat much at one time, since it has 340mg of sodium per tablespoon :eek: .

I'll try it with butter, first. If it doesn't hurt me too bad, I'll try cheese and/or PB some other time.

Is is better cold, room temp, or warm?

CD

Is is better cold, room temp, or warm?
Straight out of the jar. I keep mine in the cupboard, not in the fridge.
The original Marmite (turn of last century?) was invented with the used yeast from beer making. Apparently it was a huge hit at the time because it's rich in B vitamins, and helped boost the immune system.
It's one of those things, however, like anchovies, cilantro, liver, that you love or hate. No in between.
I do remember my mum making marmite gravy for Sunday Roast Chicken/Roast Beef, however. She probably used "Bisto" gravy and added a tsp of marmite. That was good.

I'll try it with butter, first.

Good idea. The problem with spreading Marmite on a small cracker is that its easy to lob on too much. If ¼ tsp Marmite is enough for a whole slice of bread then the amount on a cracker is very tiny!

Nigella famously solves the butter and Marmite ratio and ease of spreading, by pre-mixing softened butter and Marmite in a tub when making Marmite sandwiches for a kids' tea party.

Nigella famously solves the butter and Marmite ratio and ease of spreading, by pre-mixing softened butter and Marmite in a tub when making Marmite sandwiches for a kids' tea party.

Marmite sandwiches. A great way to show the kids how much you love them. :okay:

CD

Good idea. The problem with spreading Marmite on a small cracker is that its easy to lob on too much. If ¼ tsp Marmite is enough for a whole slice of bread then the amount on a cracker is very tiny!

They do a 40% less salt Vegemite.
40% Less Salt^ VEGEMITE - Tastes Like Australia

I burned my upper lip at lunchtime, and it hurts. Nothing salty right now for me. It has already blistered and peeled, so it should heal up in a day or two.

CD

A kiwi perspective. We have vegemite and marmite here. Daughter is a marmite girl. Son and us vegemite. I put a heaped teaspoon of vegemite in kids mouli veges. I try to start them young.
Agree with most here. Thin layer with butter on toast.
Wife likes to make a sloppy here for her
Toast butter then vegemite then thin layer of cheddar then under the grill til slightly bubbly.
She loves them.
I tried to send some vegemite to a poster stateside here months ago. Customs must have intercepted it. Didnt arrive.
You are either a vege or marmite guy.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom