The CookingBites Cookalong: Chicken Kiev

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
9:53 PM
kiev.jpg

Have you ever made that 70’s classic, Chicken Kiev? If not, then now is your chance to try! If you have cooked it before, you can share your wisdom and cook along too. The idea of the Cookalong is that members cook a classic recipe within a certain timescale and share their experience. Its a bit of fun and a chance to learn. Please join in!

The exact origin of the dish is not known, but Chicken Kiev became a staple of Soviet catering in the 70’s and 80’s and often appeared on British restaurant menus during the same period. It was the first chilled ready-meal to be sold by Marks & Spencer.

There is an interesting article here which explores the possible origins of the dish and compares various chef’s recipes. I will post the final recipe from that article below, as it seems quite straightforward as a starting point. So - good luck to any of you who want to join in. And if anyone wants to attempt a vegan/vegetarian alternative then I wish them special luck!

Please add your comments, photos, experiences (and memories of eating the dish in the past) to this thread. Provisional closing date midnight Sunday 27th August (BST (UCT/GMT+1). Please let us know if you intend to join in.

Last edited:
Chicken Kiev (makes 2)

Ingredients
2 chicken breasts
50g salted butter, at room temperature
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
1 tbsp tarragon, finely chopped
½ lemon
2 tbsp flour, seasoned
2 eggs, beaten
4 tbsp breadcrumbs, panko if possible, seasoned
Vegetable oil, to deep fry

Method
1. Mash together the butter, garlic and herbs, and season with black pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice. Form into 2 sausages, and wrap in clingfilm. Put in the fridge to chill.
2. Butterfly each chicken breast by opening it out using a knife, and then put it between 2 sheets of cling film and bash with a rolling pin or meat tenderiser until about 0.5cm thick, being careful not to create any holes. Season both sides well.
3. Put a sausage of butter near one edge of the chicken and begin rolling the meat up around it, tucking in the ends as you go (use some egg and flour as glue if they prove obstinate). Roll into a tight sausage using the clingfilm, and freeze for 2 hours.
4. Put the seasoned flour, eggs and breadcrumbs into 3 shallow dishes and then roll the frozen kievs in each in turn, then again in the eggs and crumbs to double coat. Put in the fridge to defrost, which should take about an hour. Preheat the oven to 150C.
5. Heat the vegetable oil in a large pan or fryer to 160C, or until a crumb of bread turns golden in about 15 seconds, then gently lower the first kiev in. Cook it for 8½ minutes, then drain on kitchen paper and put in the oven to keep warm while you cook the next. Serve immediately, once your guest has tucked a napkin into their collar.

Source: Felicity Cloake - https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2012/jun/07/how-cook-perfect-chicken-kiev

@morning glory,

I have only had Chicken Kiev 3 times. On my last Nyc Convention trip, at The renowned Russian Tearoom located next to Carnegie Hall in Manhattan and I have never forgotten this delicacy. It is simply refined exquisiteness. There is an excellent Russian Restaurant in The Las Austrias Historic District of the Madrid Captial called " Nicolas ". Then, the last time I had Russian cuisine was here in Barcelona. It is an outstandingly remarkable classic.

What I had wanted to mention is: This dish was first prepared in Russia in 1840, by a Russian Chef who was employed at the Hotel Dnipro, & his name was Chef Viacheslav Gribov and at that time, The Russian Monarchy had sent Russian Chefs to Paris, to learn from what they considered the best Chefs. Chicken Kiev, actually means " Chicken Cutlet ". The dish is also called Poulet Côtelette or Poulet Volaille. Chicken Kiev can be fried or baked. This is all documented in a Russian book written by: Pelageya Alexandrova in Russia in 1899.

Thank you for posting your amazingly gorgeous recipe & photograph.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is something I've always wanted to cook myself. I've only had Tesco ones in the past. One comment - I have two recipes, one by James Martin and the other by John Torode, and they both say to get chicken breasts with the wing bone left in. Neither recipe says to remove it. Is this usual? Does anyone know?

This is something I've always wanted to cook myself. I've only had Tesco ones in the past. One comment - I have two recipes, one by James Martin and the other by John Torode, and they both say to get chicken breasts with the wing bone left in. Neither recipe says to remove it. Is this usual? Does anyone know?

I don't know. It sounds as if they are doing a 'chefy' version! All the Kievs I've had (ready meals except the one time I cooked it) don't. Is the bone left in for presentation purposes, I wonder?

When I made my one attempt at making it (a lot of years back) the butter leaked everywhere.

Last edited:
There seem to be two basic methods:
  1. Flatten out the chicken breast by 'butterflying' it then put the cold garlic butter in the middle and roll up using clingfilm. Chill then coat in breadcrumbs etc.
  2. Cut a deep slit into the chicken breast and bury the cold garlic butter inside the slit. Coat in breadcrumbs etc.
I think the retaining of the wing bone helps in method 2. James Martin says:
carefully cut a deep pocket in each of the chicken breasts, inserting the knife into the bone end, just under the bone.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/classic_chicken_kiev_16620

If I have the time, I will try both methods.

Last edited:
@morning glory, Some Chefs prepare bone in Breast and others without, so it is up to you. However, the bone " you can say, holds the breast with the butter compound filling inside more firmly & it sits better on the plate ". When I had it the 3 times at 3 different restaurants in 2 different countries in 3 different cities, the bone was in the breast.

Have a lovely evening ..

@Elawin, The bone in breast is not removed by most Chefs.

Have a nice evening.
Goodnight ..

However, John Torode leaves the bone in but flattens out the breast. He says:
For the chicken, remove the mini-fillet at the back of the chicken breasts and set aside. Using a sharp knife, slice open the breasts so that they can be opened up like a book from the top to the bottom. Gently bash the breasts out with a meat mallet or rolling pin so they are flat.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/chickenkievwithmashe_83483

Last edited:
Well, I am feeling very lonely in this thread. Is anyone else going to join in? Or am I in a Cook-alone? Sending an SOS. :cry:

I made step one towards my effort which is a slight twist on the classic - coriander garlic butter rather than parsley garlic butter. Its chilling nicely in the fridge. So, with any luck, tomorrow is Kiev day! :)

20170806_184006.jpg

@morning glory

I am a grand fan of the dish and admire your adventurous and laborious streak to create this dish .. I know it is very laborious. I have never tried to prepare it at home ..

Coriander verses parsley .. Surely it will be wonderful either way ..

Great photography too !!

Good luck !!

I'll tell you tomorrow! I think its just technique - getting the Kiev sealed so that the butter doesn't leak out.

@morning glory

Yes, please do. Are you baking the Chicken Kiev in the oven or frying ?

Yes, the key is, to get the Kiev sealed so the butter does not leak out ..

Good luck, all my best wishes ..

I would like to try it. So since you are documenting the recipe, I shall make a copy of it ..

Back
Top Bottom