The CookingBites Cookalong: Ravioli

I might be wrong but I thought that the whole purpose of this thread was to jointly explore the process of cooking something whilst going slightly out of our comfort zones and putting a personal twist on the recipe. I am bewildered by the criticism of ravioli as a choice. It's not something many of us make every day, but it's hardly rocket science - after all its just mixing flour and eggs. If you can make bread or cakes or pastry then ravioli is even simpler. You don't need special equipment - your bare hands and a rolling pin will do. You don't need special ingredients, 00 flour is ideal but it will still work with regular flour, and no one said you had to use seafood. Flour and eggs are pretty much the most common ingredients the world over, and the fillings can be vegetarian. I am struggling to think of a recipe that ticks as many boxes as that.

Let me think on this since my idea leaves out the people from India.
falafels originate from Egypt I think? They can be made with chickpeas or fava beans - both are exceptionally nice and very easy, though I will admit that they need baking or frying.
I baled to only cooking in the kitchen before midday during the summer here. after midday nothing was cooked other than a reheat or a quick boil of 10 minute rice. If I was cooking 30 minute rice it was in the morning and it went into cold water almost immediately and then into the fridge... Things like quiche were often on the menu, cooked on mass in the morning once a week and then frozen when cool and brought out into the fridge the morning they were to be eaten that night....

Can you name some Mexican or just general Americas dishes that are challenging to cook and would extend our knowledge of your food culture? It would be nice if there were vegetarian/vegan options because I also have not yet been able to participate in any of these cookalongs either.

Tomorrow I would prepare a different kind of the classics Italian ravioli. They are always ravioli but from Sardegna and the have a filling made with..................
well ok, tomorrow you'll see...and also the shape isn't square but seems like chinese ravioli...my aunt always made homemade in Sardegna and she teached to me how prepared them.

Last edited:
Now I have the flour, I will have a think on fillings that are vegan (or vegetarian-dairy) and tasty. It could be a good challenge by itself!
I made all my entries with ordinary bread flour. You don't have to use 00. There are a lot of possibilities for vegetarian dairy free fillings. The second ravioli dish I posted was just that: smoked aubergine filling.

no one said you had to use seafood. Flour and eggs are pretty much the most common ingredients the world over, and the fillings can be vegetarian. I am struggling to think of a recipe that ticks as many boxes as that.

That's right! In fact the recipe example given is a vegetarian recipe (although not dairy free). Cashew nut cheese could be subbed for the ricotta. I was thinking of making some ravioli with tofu filling but haven't had time...

what does stock means?

Buonasera Patrizia;

Stock = Brodo / Bouillon ..

It can be Homemade or purchased: Can be made from shellfish, prawns, meats, chicken or vegetables and then it is strained ( the vegetables or meats, or chicken and the bones and fat and the bones of the fish or shells are strained in a Colander to achieve a Brodo or base of many récipes and looks like a Consomée ) ..

Buonsera ..
Have a lovely day ..

Have you ever made Ravioli? If not, then now is your chance to try! If you have cooked it before, you can share your wisdom and cook along too. The idea of the Cookalong is that members cook a classic recipe within a certain timescale and share their experience. Its a bit of fun and a chance to learn. Please join in!

I'll add a recipe from Gennaro Contaldo who, being Italian, should know what he is talking about - but there are many variations of this dish.

Please add your comments, photos, experiences to this thread. Provisional closing date Monday 19th June, but we can be flexible if people haven't had time and intend to join in. Please do say if you are intending to join in!

@morning glory,

Congratulations .. Magnificant endeavor .. Yes, I have made Ravioli, Agnoletti ( crescents of the moon shaped ravioli, canellone etcetra .. and Sweet Ravioli stuffed with cream of chestnuts at holiday time .. )

It is something I prepare during the Christmas Season or for other holiday celebrations as it is somewhat laborious ..

I very much like Ricotta stuffed Ravioli with spinach or Rocket ( Rucola / Arugula ) ..

Have a wonderful day ..

Last edited:
My favorite Ravioli Recipe is a Dessert Ravioli which I prepare during The Christmas Holidays ( 22nd of December - January 6th ).

The ingredients are.

400 grams of peeled chestnuts, 100 grams of black chocolate from Tuscany, 80 grams of honey, 1 Mandarine or Tangerine, 2 Tablesp. of Cream, 5 grams of flour and a fruity Bio Evoo ..

For the Pasta: I use 300 grams of unbleached Bio flour, 1 Mandarine, 100 grams of bio sugar fine grain confectioners sugar, 2 eggs and 2 soup spoons of Evoo and Salt.

For the decoration: Mandarine Zest and walnuts and hazelnuts and a cinammon stick ..

This historic recipe comes from Campania - Italy from 2 talented ladies & sisters by the names of Lina & Maria.

Have a lovely day ..

Nope. Me and ravioli are just not very easy bedfellows.

Okay here’s the story. Tonight, circumstances left me cooking tea just for myself. So I had to grab the opportunity. Not just to make ravioli, but to make ravioli with a seafood filling. So I bought some crabmeat. Yeah, don’t give me a hard time, buying an actual crab and preparing it was never an option. In any case, I made some pasta with my newfound confidence after the mushroom tagliatelle, and I formed five ravioli, filled with crabmeat mixed with chopped little gem lettuce, seasoned and with a little lemon juice. And then it all started to go wrong. Of five ravioli, only three actually made it to the pot, and after cooking, only one was even close to being worth serving. And an awful lot of expensive crabmeat was wasted. The one I actually eat was lovely. Shame it wasn’t five.

@Ken Natton,

I am assuming the dough was the problem as it never made it to the pot of boiling wáter ..

If one was delicious, what went wrong. Could you go into specifics ?

Sorry to hear about your dilema ..

Have a nice day ..

falafels originate from Egypt I think? They can be made with chickpeas or fava beans - both are exceptionally nice and very easy, though I will admit that they need baking or frying.
I baled to only cooking in the kitchen before midday during the summer here. after midday nothing was cooked other than a reheat or a quick boil of 10 minute rice. If I was cooking 30 minute rice it was in the morning and it went into cold water almost immediately and then into the fridge... Things like quiche were often on the menu, cooked on mass in the morning once a week and then frozen when cool and brought out into the fridge the morning they were to be eaten that night....

Can you name some Mexican or just general Americas dishes that are challenging to cook and would extend our knowledge of your food culture? It would be nice if there were vegetarian/vegan options because I also have not yet been able to participate in any of these cookalongs either.
I was referring to my beef idea as leaving out an entire culture.
Let me think on the American/Mexican challenge.

Back
Top Bottom