The CookingBites recipe challenge: brown sugar

Some sort of rice pudding, perchance? I love it but have only made it with white sugar.
With saffron, rose water and cardamom... the rose petals may also feature...

Difficult for me to make it with white sugar though when I don't have any in the house. Lol

With saffron, rose water and cardamom... the rose petals may also feature...

Difficult for me to make it with white sugar though when I don't have any in the house. Lol

Sounds divine! I don't like many sweet things but rice pudding is one thing I love.

Sounds divine! I don't like many sweet things but rice pudding is one thing I love.
I'm stocking up on good food before going into a hospital that can't or won't cater for vegans. Nothing has changed from my last visit 18 months ago even to the letter of the menu... and this is the hospital that put me in anaphylaxis when they served lactose free ice cream and labelled it dairy free sorbet!

Not and entry. I've posted this before. Glazed pecans.

Just equal parts of butter, brown sugar and good maple syrup, cooked low in a saucepan until incorporated, and then stir in the pecans. When fully coated, spread them on baking sheets with wire racks and bake in the oven at 350F for 15-20 minutes. All the baking does is harden the glaze, which dries when it is cooled.

You could do this with white sugar, but it would not taste as good without the molasses content.

Pecans.jpg

CD

Last edited:
I’m confused.

Brown sugar is readily available in Australia.

It’s what we eat on porridge plus loads of other things.

Brown sugar is great on oatmeal, which is the same as Porridge, I think??? Just plain white sugar would not be as good on that. I can't imagine chocolate chip cookies without brown sugar.

Oooooo, I could enter my recipe for chocolate chip cookies, which is a modified (and improved IMO) version of my mom's recipe, which is her mom's recipe. That was quite the family scandal since my dad liked mine better than my mom's. :laugh:

CD

We’d eat that by the heaping tablespoon when I was a kid. I may or may not still do that from time to time… :whistling:
Are you my long-lost brother? I used to (and sometimes still do) the same thing! Only when my parents weren’t home, of course :D

Likewise. As soon as I saw this, I immediately thought the same thing. Then, I wondered if I had any brown sugar in my pantry. Then, I got up to check the pantry, spoon in hand. Sadly, no brown sugar. Hey...who ate all the brown sugar? :scratchhead:

Okay, I want to apologize if anybody feels they are being picked on or attacked or whatever by me. Honestly, I just can't believe there has been so much controversy over something that I thought would be a simple ingredient for the challenge. Guess the old saying of the road to hell is paved with good intentions applies here!

Okay, I want to apologize if anybody feels they are being picked on or attacked or whatever by me. Honestly, I just can't believe there has been so much controversy over something that I thought would be a simple ingredient for the challenge. Guess the old saying of the road to hell is paved with good intentions applies here!
I honestly haven’t read it that way at all.
It’s a widely available ingredient with a huge number of options.

That’s my only problem, there are too many options, it’s making my brain hurt 😆

Well, I'm on board with brown sugar. I reckon its a good choice.

That’s my only problem, there are too many options, it’s making my brain hurt 😆

I know what you mean but...

I haven't really cooked and I certainly haven't photographed anything for three months since I broke my leg at the end of December, which then resulted in complications. Right now I can stand up for a short while and just might be able to cook something so long as it doesn't mean lingering over a pan. So, I suppose I'm pleased there are so many options as I might hit on one that I can do,

Well, I'm on board with brown sugar. I reckon its a good choice.

I know what you mean but...

I haven't really cooked and I certainly haven't photographed anything for three months since I broke my leg at the end of December, which then resulted in complications. Right now I can stand up for a short while and just might be able to cook something so long as it doesn't mean lingering over a pan. So, I suppose I'm pleased there are so many options as I might hit on one that I can do,
I'm so very glad you're getting better!

Back
Top Bottom