The CookingBites recipe challenge: brown sugar

It's really good, I prefer it over regular table sugar.

I just noticed your new custom title.

An interesting avatar if you're interested:

Kitchen witch.gif

Does rock sugar / gula djawa /palm sugar count?
They are generally quite dark.

I believed those are just unrefined sugars. I'm pretty sure the brown sugar medtran59 is referring to is a mixture of sugar and molasses. Of course, she is the judge, so she decides. Is brown sugar not easily available there?

CD

That will be a problem because I think it's only the USA/Americas that that's the case for. Brown sugar isn't typically dyed white sugar in most countries I've travelled to or lived in.

Certainly UK and Aus and I think most of Europe, brown sugar is from sugar cane and is less refined than white sugar. White sugar can be from sugar cane or from beet.

As medtran49 says above:

There are brown sugars of various names worldwide. As long as the color of the sugar is golden brown to dark brown, you are good.

I will add this to the top post to clarify.

Here´s a delicious savoury fruit salad which goes well with a whole load of things; especially chicken and pork. It´s a wonderful combination of sweet, sour, spicy and salty. You can change the fruit you use if you wish (you might want to use nectarines, cantaloupe melon, papaya, etc).
Rudjak.JPG

Rudjak (Indonesian Fruit Salad)
Papelón is produced by heating sugar cane juice to high temperatures, removing the froth and some impurities, then cooling in moulds.

Here´s a delicious savoury fruit salad which goes well with a whole load of things; especially chicken and pork. It´s a wonderful combination of sweet, sour, spicy and salty. You can change the fruit you use if you wish (you might want to use nectarines, cantaloupe melon, papaya, etc). View attachment 97862
Rudjak (Indonesian Fruit Salad)
Papelón is produced by heating sugar cane juice to high temperatures, removing the froth and some impurities, then cooling in moulds.
The traditional sugar for this is palm sugar, does that count too medtran49 ?

To me, at least, brown sugar has never been white and then something added to it to make it brown again.

Me neither and I'm learning things. But for the purposes of this challenge any sort of brown sugar counts.

Lets get cooking! We are off to a flying start with 3 entries already and its only day two!

Lets get cooking! We are off to a flying start with 3 entries already and its only day two!
I have a couple of things picked out. I’m trying to find things that are “brown sugar forward,” so to speak, since it usually just plays a behind-the-scenes role - get ready for a toothache!

I’m too learning new things, and that’s good. I think I’m safe in saying that to an average American, “brown sugar” and “sugar that is brown” are two very different things! :wink:

I have a rice dish planned for today. It was going to have been an entry for the previous challenge, but I didn't have any saffron left and was at 6 dishes anyway. So, given it features sugar and the only sugar in this house is versions of brown, I reckon it qualifies. I just need to wake up first, so I might go back to bed for a few hours. We had a bad storm during the night which woke me a 1:30am and we didn't get much sleep after that point.

I have a rice dish planned for today. It was going to have been an entry for the previous challenge, but I didn't have any saffron left and was at 6 dishes anyway. So, given it features sugar and the only sugar in this house is versions of brown, I reckon it qualifies. I just need to wake up first, so I might go back to bed for a few hours. We had a bad storm during the night which woke me a 1:30am and we didn't get much sleep after that point.

Some sort of rice pudding, perchance? I love it but have only made it with white sugar.

Back
Top Bottom