The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Celery

img_1086-jpg.jpg

Celery Poutine

Craig and I made harissa paste this afternoon for a vegetarian/easily made vegan recipe we'll be making later this week with celery root. I might get the cashew "cream" made for it tonight or might not. Have a date with Mr. Amaretto glass when I'm done posting

Craig and I made harissa paste this afternoon for a vegetarian/easily made vegan recipe we'll be making later this week with celery root. I might get the cashew "cream" made for it tonight or might not. Have a date with Mr. Amaretto glass when I'm done posting

Enjoy that amaretto. I'm thinking there is serious celery competition going on here! :D

Last edited:
I wanted to make another entry, but eating the noodles reminded Craig that he doesn't really like celery root, so guess we won't be doing so. However, I'm still going to put my idea out there. We had some prosciutto we needed to use up, some roasted/dried tomato/basil pesto, as well as some little mozzarella balls that I was going to grate or cut up, so I was going to make Italian Nachos. The "chips" were going to be very, very thinly sliced celery root on the mandolin. I was going to fry them, but they could be baked. The prosciutto we had was cut a little thick (the woman at the deli obviously didn't know how to cut it and wasn't being watched closely) so I was going to slice it up and fry it until crisp. Besides the red roasted/dried tomato/basil pesto, I was going to make some regular green pesto and a small amount of Alfredo sauce.

To assemble, form a rectangle of chips on an oven safe serving dish. Sprinkle with mozzarella, then with the fried prosciutto. Add another layer of chips and mozzarella. Bake in a 375 F oven until cheese is melted. Remove from oven. Using a squirt bottle and starting from the left, drizzle the green pesto over 1/3 of the rectangle. Next, again using a squirt bottle, drizzle the Alfredo sauce over the center third of the rectangle. Finally, with the red pesto and a squirt bottle drizzle the right third of the rectangle. I would do long vertical strokes for my drizzles, or maybe just slightly angular.

Guess what you now have, Italian Flag nachos. Hey, I know it's kitchy and gimicky, but it would be good finger food for an Italian-themed party, or even just a quick meal.

We had some prosciutto we needed to use up, some roasted/dried tomato/basil pesto, as well as some little mozzarella balls that I was going to grate or cut up, so I was going to make Italian Nachos.
You had me at "pesto"! This is a terrific idea. I'd think frying would let you crisp them up more easily (at least, you can eyeball them and pull them out quickly, rather than the long, drawn-out process of baking, where you'd probably have to check a few times while you wait for them to reach the crispness you want).

Back
Top Bottom