The CookingBites recipe challenge: cream cheese

Okay, I need to run out and get some avocados (making a Cinco de Mayo dinner tonight and gotta have some guac). Hey TastyReuben want me to pick up some avos for you? :laugh:

Seriously SandwichShortOfAPicnic I thought about making a basket of fries/chips to go with the margaritas tonight, LOL!
Do it and report back, the salty chips just might work!

Do it and report back, the salty chips just might work!
We will have some tortilla chips but no fries tonight. I am making queso fundido, guacamole, chicken enchiladas, and frozen margaritas, none of which will go well with fried potatoes. I think fries and margaritas would be okay if that's all we were eating.

Next one, because yes, you can have your pudding, even if you don’t eat your meat:

Recipe - Bread Pudding

A stalwart classic, bread pudding. This one’s a little different in that it gets an almost-crispy sweetened cream cheese topping that browns beautifully in the oven.

Sweeeeeeeet, and I mean that literally. There’s sugar in the custard, sugar in the cream cheese, and a lovely little pond of maple syrup (which isn’t optional, IMO), and some sweetened whipped cream, just in case you need that little extra.

This is right up my alley, as I love bread pudding. On any given day, it’s probably my favorite dessert of all time. It tastes good to eat, and it reminds me of being a kid, because my grandma seemed to always have bread pudding made up, so it tastes good to my memory as well.

Recipe - Ms. Mofet's Lemon Cream Cheese Buttercream Frosting

lemon_cake_whole_092520_IMG_7184.JPG

Here's my main dish entry:

Recipe - Chicken Tetrazzini

This dish represents the exact amount of effort I like to expend making something - enough that it feels like "real" cooking, but not so much that I'm too tired to eat once it's ready.

What I like about this is that it tastes, for lack of a better word, old-fashioned. It tastes like something I could have had at my grandmom's (though I never did) - it's a heavy dish, stick-to-your-ribs food, the kind of thing your mom makes for you when you come home to visit.

It's creamy and cheesy, but not too much so on the latter - it's just enough to give it a little pungency. I sliced the mushrooms very thin, since I don't care for those so much, but there were enough other things going on that I didn't even mind them. The peas add a pleasant bit of springtime color and a taste of freshness.

MrsT's comments can't really be transcribed, because she was too busy getting in down her - she loved it.

This would be very welcome at a potluck/food-sharing event, it's easy to scale up, and it makes a welcoming, homey presentation. Definitely a keeper.

So, this was a bit of a challenge because of my weight loss diet at the moment, but I came up with something. Slightly more calories than I'd hoped, and way over on my carbs...

Spinach and cream cheese cannelloni doesn't quite sound right, so I went with Recipe - Sweet Chestnut & Spinach Cannelloni

20240508_180247.jpg

Back
Top Bottom