The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Garlic

Leek and Cheese Tart

Leek and cheese tart.jpg

https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/leek-and-cheese-tart.11314/

This is a pretty versatile dish based on a Riverford recipe (https://www.riverford.co.uk/recipes/view/recipe/leek-parmesan-tart). It can be made either as a simple tart, or (in Riverford fashion) like a pizza with loads of toppings

Someone please remind me to write up my recipe for pickled garlic... I keep forgetting!

They sell a lot of pickled garlic (or at least have a lot on display) here in Thailand. I've never bought any nor tried to pickle my own. What do you use it for?

They sell a lot of pickled garlic (or at least have a lot on display) here in Thailand. I've never bought any nor tried to pickle my own. What do you use it for?
Anything that requires garlic and vinegar you don't really notice the difference, plus you can just use it normally and especially raw because it has the sharpness taken out of it. Try it, you'll understand. A friend gave me some for Christmas three or four years ago and I was rather unsure at first as well.

Last edited:
Could this be considered a reminder?
Please?
I have so much garlic that needs processing.
It's pretty easy really, vinegar, salt and water are the basics on a set amount, just don't use unpure salt (such as Atlantic sea salt or Himalayain pink salt) because the 'impurities' in the salt can react with the garlic and turn it a different colour. I used Atlantic grey salt and the copper in it has turned the garlic a bluish colour. Doesn't affect it, but pure salt like Maldon sea salt (just not table salt) would have been better. I'll try to remember to write it up tomorrow or Monday (once my hubby is in Sydney I'll get more time)...

Braised Shallot and Caramelised Garlic Tart
I always have fun with these Challenges, whether I'm making something, or I'm the one picking the ingredient. I was really impressed with all the entries. But, @morning glory's recipe gave me a new, delicious way to enjoy a recipe I thought I knew (whether you call it a quiche or a tart or a flan).

Just to be clear (which I now see I wasn't, since even she didn't understand), @morning glory is the winner!

Last edited:
OK! Thank you very much!

I'm choosing aubergine (eggplant) as the next ingredient. I did choose it once before but that was right at the start of the Recipe Challenge two years ago and membership has changed rather since then. What influenced me to choose aubergine was the fact I just bought a white aubergine in Waitrose. I'll post something about that later. Deadline for entries is midday (GMT) Tuesday 19th December.

We had a great crop of entries (11 in all) for this round of the Recipe Challenge. I've got several recipes and ideas saved from the entries. Please keep them coming!

OK! Thank you very much!

I'm choosing aubergine (eggplant) as the next ingredient. I did choose it once before but that was right at the start of the Recipe Challenge two years ago and membership has changed rather since then. What influenced me to choose aubergine was the fact I just bought a white aubergine in Waitrose. I'll post something about that later. Deadline for entries is midday (GMT) Tuesday 19th December.
I've got an [ordinary] aubergine outside in the kitchen. I was going to use it tonight, but now I'll have to have a think :D

I'm choosing aubergine (eggplant) as the next ingredient.
Here's what I like about the Challenges: they motivate me to cook with something I rarely or never use. I've only use this once in a fairly conventional recipe, and it turned out phenomenally well. While I will likely submit that recipe, I will also look to stretch myself in other things I've wanted to try. I suspect the Flavo(u)r Thesaurus will come in handy for this. :)

Back
Top Bottom