The CookingBites recipe challenge: ginger

Ginger nut with my tea tonight:

IMG_7992.jpeg

Cool iddeas so far! I would love to participate in the challenge. Although ginger is rarely, if ever in my cooking adventures. But precisely for that reason, I would like to expand my horizons. First that comes to mind is a ginger meat combination of some sort...so will be contemplating.:)

I have green cardamom and a curry leaf tree but not ginger. For some reason it doesn't like my soil here. :(
I discovered (completely by chance) that ginger likes soft, porous, loose soil, so anything vaguely "clay"is not conducive to a healthy plant. Don't know whether that's what you've got. The soil also needs plenty of moisture. In Caracas, in the dry season, the stuff just won't grow at all.

I have green cardamom and a curry leaf tree but not ginger. For some reason it doesn't like my soil here. :(
I can't get it to grow direct in the soil even though my turmeric & galangal do fine.
But it seems to be doing fine in half drums filled with the same soil ....
Could be termite or nematode related, or maybe it's just the watering.
Curry trees love it here. I don't have cardemom. Something to look into

I discovered (completely by chance) that ginger likes soft, porous, loose soil, so anything vaguely "clay"is not conducive to a healthy plant. Don't know whether that's what you've got. The soil also needs plenty of moisture. In Caracas, in the dry season, the stuff just won't grow at all.
The soil here is very poor, sandy stuff. But it's hydrophobic (this is an Aussie thing) and water just beads and runs off much like mercury does... so the soil is typically very loose and dry or is packed rock hard and you can drive on it. Either way, it's typically very dry.

I've been able to feed the soil with lots of mulch and chook shit over the years I've been here, and it's much better in most places I grow crops in, but elsewhere, it's very poor. It's one reason this is a sheep ranch and not a cattle ranch. They need much better soil conditions else the cattle don't do well.

Also there are deficiencies of certain minerals in the soil. Calcium is one, I know that for definite because of I've found 5 snails in the 6 years I've been here, that's probably good going and everyone of them has had such a soft poor brittle shell that even picking it up has broken the shell without effort. I've taken to using commercial calcium based lime to neutralise the soil instead of the wood ash I have loads of, just to try to add some calcium back into the soil.

My next’un:

Ginger-Marinated Chicken with Peppers and Onions

Odd, this one. I like gingery things, MrsT generally does not, but this was one where the tables were turned - she loved it, and I felt rather blah about the whole thing.

Very simple marinade of oil and grated ginger for the chicken, and then some sautéed peppers and onions to cook alongside the chicken. Not difficult at all.

I didn’t find much to like about it because it just wasn’t that flavorful…were I to do this again, I’d punch those vegetables up quite a bit. Maybe it needs some hot honey in there, eh?

I think that’s why MrsT did like it - ‘Twas very mildly spiced, which she prefers in most things.

Anyway, it’s not bad, just sort of bland as-is.

Number 3 from me:

Ginger-Honey Vinaigrette

Pretty easy salad dressing to throw together - chuck it all in the stick blender's container, whizz-whizz-whizz, and there you have it.

In terms of flavor, it's very light and sunny, perfect for a temperate day outside - it's just the right blend of ginger, honey, and mustard, and would also make a wonderful dipping sauce, especially for breaded chicken tenders.

Isn't that a lovely color?!

Back
Top Bottom