The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Leafy Greens

We actually hadn't checked for gout, but yesterday morning I told Craig I wondered if it might be gout because we had that huge rich meal Friday evening besides splitting a bottle of Brunello, a small glass of limoncello, then some amaretto when we got home. No, I didn't get drunk, we had 2 large bottles of water with the meal and it was all well spaced out because I also had a double espresso and was up quite late or early as the case may be. Foot started bothering me Saturday afternoon, then full blown by Sunday morning. I put a note in my phone about the meal and then the pain so if and when it happens again I'll find out if it correlates. Don't drink red wine that often and certainly not in that quantity, much less the after dinner booze, usually only a glass.

Russ, it's not just booze that causes gout. There's a whole bunch of foods that contribute to uric acid production.

It's actually worse today. The area on my foot just where the toes start is bruised looking, as is an area around my ankle bone. We had the leftover boar and polenta cake, plus the Caprese salad for dinner last night, plus I had some amaretto after. I think tonight's dinner is going to be something plain.

So simple and delicious: Spaghetti with Spinach and Parmesan

We actually hadn't checked for gout, but yesterday morning I told Craig I wondered if it might be gout because we had that huge rich meal Friday evening besides splitting a bottle of Brunello, a small glass of limoncello, then some amaretto when we got home. No, I didn't get drunk, we had 2 large bottles of water with the meal and it was all well spaced out because I also had a double espresso and was up quite late or early as the case may be. Foot started bothering me Saturday afternoon, then full blown by Sunday morning. I put a note in my phone about the meal and then the pain so if and when it happens again I'll find out if it correlates. Don't drink red wine that often and certainly not in that quantity, much less the after dinner booze, usually only a glass.

Russ, it's not just booze that causes gout. There's a whole bunch of foods that contribute to uric acid production.

It's actually worse today. The area on my foot just where the toes start is bruised looking, as is an area around my ankle bone. We had the leftover boar and polenta cake, plus the Caprese salad for dinner last night, plus I had some amaretto after. I think tonight's dinner is going to be something plain.

I have a friend who passed away last month who used to get gout if he are seafood, apparently it was too rich for his body? I don't know much about gout, that's prolly as much as I will ever know, unless you have it. My friend used to love seafood and put up with the pain occasionally. I'm told it's quite painful???
Hope you find the cause of your discomfort.

Russ

It's extremely painful. One of my brothers has it. He probably drinks a bit too much and he eats a lot of cured meat and a lot of venison, all of which his doctor warned him against.

It's extremely painful. One of my brothers has it. He probably drinks a bit too much and he eats a lot of cured meat and a lot of venison, all of which his doctor warned him against.

More and more as I'm thinking about it I think it's gout. We had octopus and a tray of cured meats as appys, then had more cured meat in our pasta course, and then the wild boar ragout, plus all that strong red wine.

Yes, if that's what this is, it is EXTREMELY painful. My black pug tromped on my foot Sunday when I had it propped up on the couch. Let's just say my reaction was not pleasant... This morning, I knew it was going to be bad when I woke up and the blanket on my foot was causing pain.

My brother gets gout, and my father had gout.

They deal / dealt by laying low on shellfish (regular fish is fine), cured meats, organ meats. Yes, venison can also be a problem. I think red wine can also be an issue.

I used to drink a lot of red wine (only red) before I moved here. Here it is far too expensive to drink regularly. However, since I moved here 20 years ago I've had gout twice.

This article (8 natural ways to lower uric acid) makes for interesting reading regarding Gout which I hadn't appreciated, until earlier this week, is actually a form of arthritis. One of my husband's work collegues has been diagnosed with gout quite recently and there is a chance that I also have it (though my uric acid levels in my blood maybe high because of one of the diuretics I take.)

You've probably already explored with your Doctor the possibility of gout. I get it bad sometimes, and your symptoms ( especially the painful inflammation) would match.
Murphyscreek, was thinking the same thing. I get gout in my big toe and it runs down the side of my foot. Walking is excruciating. The pain is unlike any other I have experienced.

More and more as I'm thinking about it I think it's gout. We had octopus and a tray of cured meats as appys, then had more cured meat in our pasta course, and then the wild boar ragout, plus all that strong red wine.

Yes, if that's what this is, it is EXTREMELY painful. My black pug tromped on my foot Sunday when I had it propped up on the couch. Let's just say my reaction was not pleasant... This morning, I knew it was going to be bad when I woke up and the blanket on my foot was causing pain.

It is so painful. It is hereditary and can be controlled to a certain degree by diet but not always. My biggest triggers are prawns (I can't even eat one without triggering an attack), and black beer such as any sort of stout. I don't drink red wine, but I'm guessing would be a problem too. But I've had severe attacks out of the blue, and one of my worst ones was after a two day fast. Unfortunately, sometimes the only way I can stave off a full blown crippling attack is with medication. I have tried many natural remedies with varying success, but once the symptoms start developing it's really only those meds that stave off the full attack which is indescribable to those that haven't had it.

Back
Top Bottom