The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Leafy Greens

Thanks Late Night. Thanks everyone else. I actually make lettuce wrap a lot, nut usually in the hot summer months. You can go Asian, Mexica, Americas (cheesesteak in a lettuce wrap). A quick favorite on a hot day is some chilled tuna salad in lettuce wraps.

This win really caught me by surprise. Ho long do I have to think of the next one?

CD

Well - soon as you can really as we are already overdue because the judging was extended. If possible choose an ingredient which is accessible to most people given our geographical spread. Previous choices are here in alphabetical order and here in date order. It doesn't matter if its been chosen before as long as its not too recently.

Well - soon as you can really as we are already overdue because the judging was extended. If possible choose an ingredient which is accessible to most people given our geographical spread. Previous choices are here in alphabetical order and here in date order. It doesn't matter if its been chosen before as long as its not too recently.

Not that I'm attempting to influence CD's decision but we don't appear to have had "fish" yet?

Not that I'm attempting to influence CD's decision but we don't appear to have had "fish" yet?

This is true. Difficult for vegetarians to substitute which may be why. But there are ways! Indeed there are now vegan 'fish' and chip shops in the UK. There is also an interesting list of vegan here: Fish alternatives

But there are ways! Indeed there are now vegan 'fish' and chip shops in the UK.

Ah, thanks for the pressure. That'll help. :rolleyes:

I want something everyone cando, whether carnivore or vegan. I'm also sensitive to availability and seasonality of ingredients.

PLEASE, feel free to make suggestions. I'd like to get this settled this weekend so we can start on Monday.

CD

This is true. Difficult for vegetarians to substitute which may be why. But there are ways! Indeed there are now vegan 'fish' and chip shops in the UK. There is also an interesting list of vegan here: Fish alternatives

I hadn't thought of the vegan problem, but since I am land-locked in North Texas, seafood choices are limited, and it will all be frozen when it gets to me.

BTW, I may put my head together with CraigC about a Crawfish Boil thread. Fat Tuesday is a few weeks away.

CD

I wouldn't worry too much about the vegan side of things since there are substitutes for most things. More important is that the ingredient is accessible in our different countries.

We haven't had rice or eggs or courgettes (zucchini) since 2016 or cheese or peppers since 2017.

Last edited:
Okay, I've got it. I'm going back to 2016 for this one. BEANS!

CubanBeans.jpg

Beans, beans, the magical fruit, the more you eat, the more you toot, the more you toot, the better you feel, so let's have beens have beans at every meal. :p:

Rules. Use any kind of beans you want -- your choice. Start with fresh, dry or canned (tinned) beans -- your choice. You can use any ingredients you wish to flavor your dish, including meats, HOWEVER...

Beans must make up the majority of your dish, by volume (allowances made for liquids for things like soups).

BHSoup.jpg

CD

Last edited:
I hope I done good. I went with beans because they are sooooo versatile. They are also good in winter or summer, and for some of us it is winter, and for others, it is summer. Hot bowl of beans and rice, or a refreshing bean salad.

So, unless I see angry mobs at my gate, Beans it is. :chef:

CD

I hope I done good. I went with beans because they are sooooo versatile. They are also good in winter or summer, and for some of us it is winter, and for others, it is summer. Hot bowl of beans and rice, or a refreshing bean salad.

So, unless I see angry mobs at my gate, Beans it is. :chef:

CD

An excellent choice. Just to clarify, are fresh green beans included?

I hadn't thought of the vegan problem, but since I am land-locked in North Texas, seafood choices are limited, and it will all be frozen when it gets to me.

BTW, I may put my head together with CraigC about a Crawfish Boil thread. Fat Tuesday is a few weeks away.

CD

Saw an article yesterday that the season this year is starting out very, very well and prices are lower than they've been in years.

Congrats BTW!

Back
Top Bottom