The CookingBites recipe challenge: sausage

Ms. Mofet's "Unstuffed" Cabbage

unstuffed_cabbage_091320_IMG_7157.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
This recipe should adapt nicely to various sausages and perhaps even the vegetarian/vegan types as well.
If you switch the chicken stock for vegetable stock, it should be OK with vegetarian sausages, but too much in the polenta needs changing or omitting altogether to make the polenta vegan and it certainly won't taste the same or even close to the original dish. I'm still trying to find a vegan polenta dish I actually like and would make again. (Most are OK, edible but nothing to write home about and I wouldn't bother trying to modify.)

I don´t see the problem with making polenta "vegan", since it´s just corn, olive oil, water and salt. Having said that, it´s not, IMHO, a very tasty dish on its own. I do remember once , however, making the polenta, then frying up some mixed mushrooms with garlic, mixing the whole lot together and baking it. Once it was a bit crispy , I took it out of the oven and cut it into cubes. It´d probably work well with fried onions, garlic and fresh herbs.

I don´t see the problem with making polenta "vegan", since it´s just corn, olive oil, water and salt. Having said that, it´s not, IMHO, a very tasty dish on its own.
Like I said,
I'm still trying to find a vegan polenta dish I actually like and would make again. (Most are OK, edible

Plus the way it is stated, to swap the sausages out for vegetarian or vegan ones, suggests that the dish would be suitable for vegetarians or vegans with just that change, which isn't the case. I was simply pointing this out.

Ok, third entry (I think):

Recipe - Hungarian Sausage Stew with Ale (Lecsó)

Ohhhh boy, but this is good! Maybe it helps that it’s been a blustery, bleak day today, but this really filled the bill, and the house smells so inviting right now.

The sausages were made fresh the day I bought them (I know that for sure, because I had to wait on them), the bacon was locally raised and harvested, and I think that went a long way from turning this from a decent stew to a stupendous one.

Richness from the meats, a lot of garlic, and a good amount of spiciness from the generously applied crushed red pepper (hence my own addition of sour cream, just to smooth that out a bit), plus gorgeous color from the double shot of red (tomatoes and paprika), this is a meal to truly savor, to revel in.

I always include MrsT’s report, but she only had a taste, as she’s not feeling well. However, that taste was enough for her to declare, “OMG, this is delicious!” followed by, “I don’t care if my stomach is upset, I want that!” - so it must be good!

Not sure everyone can see this, but it’s an episode of Pepin’s early 1990’s show “Today’s Gourmet.”

View: https://youtu.be/9nFEV_OR87M

I included it here because right at the beginning, he makes sausage. You’ll have to watch farther to see the finished dish, but it’s entertaining.

For folks who are used to 80+yo Pepin sort of pottering around the kitchen, it’s kind of nice seeing him in his 50’s. Another thing I like - unlike a lot of celebrity chefs, when he makes a mistake, he recovers from it, like Julia Child would. He doesn’t stop filming and edit things and start over. Instead, he says, “Oh, and I forgot this, but it’s ok…I’ll just add this here instead and it’ll be fine, you know?” I love that.

Not sure everyone can see this, but it’s an episode of Pepin’s early 1990’s show “Today’s Gourmet.”

I included it here because right at the beginning, he makes sausage. You’ll have to watch farther to see the finished dish, but it’s entertaining.

For folks who are used to 80+yo Pepin sort of pottering around the kitchen, it’s kind of nice seeing him in his 50’s. Another thing I like - unlike a lot of celebrity chefs, when he makes a mistake, he recovers from it, like Julia Child would. He doesn’t stop filming and edit things and start over. Instead, he says, “Oh, and I forgot this, but it’s ok…I’ll just add this here instead and it’ll be fine, you know?” I love that.
Good ole Pépin - I use to love lying on the couch as a kid watching these episodes. He’s still making videos too!
I’ve always enjoyed his culinary style.

Thanks for sharing that!!

I had read of people wrapping the sausage in plastic and foil both and either steaming or boiling it. I could see how that would help it set. I'd still want to sear it after I think.

If I can find a neighbor or friend with a sausage stuffer, I may take a stab at making Cajun Boudin. No sausage stuffer, maybe use the bulk stuffing to make boudin balls, or another idea I have bouncing around in my noggin.

CD
Make some bulk Andouille and make a Fatty, using the Boudin (uncased) as part of the stuffing. I've also used bulk Andouille to make "sausage gravy". BTW, do you use pig liver in your Boudin?

Back
Top Bottom