The CookingBites recipe challenge: strawberries

I’ll tell everyone right here - it doesn’t have to be a secret.

I’m planning on a strawberry wine spritzer for my drink, a strawberry gratin, a dish of strawberries, madeira, and cream (popular in colonial times), and some pork chops served up with a strawberry-garlic sauce, and my coup de grace will be a very retro strawberry Jell-O salad, straight outta 1950’s suburbia. I’m really looking forward to that one.

Glad I asked. I was working up a possible recipe in my head for a strawberry sauce for a pork chop.

CD

Glad I asked. I was working up a possible recipe in my head for a strawberry sauce for a pork chop.

CD
Do it anyway - I always follow recipes and you make yours from scratch, so they’re bound to be different. We’re probably going to get a lot of shortcakes and things, too.

That Jell-O molded salad, though…I’m dreaming at about that one.

My first entry

Recipe - Summer Strawberry Panzanella

20230917_121400.jpg

This kind of morphed into a main course salad from the original version...

I normally use strawberries for shortcake, breakfast crepes and an ingredient in tossed salads. I'll pick some up on Wednesday when we visit the supermarket and figure something out in the meantime. Perhaps I can kick the breakfast crepes up a notch. Shortcake is too boring and throwing strawberries into a tossed salad isn't very creative.

I love strawberries. I like to make strawberry rhubarb compote when I can get rhubarb. Hard to find fresh or even frozen anymore.

I love strawberries. I like to make strawberry rhubarb compote when I can get rhubarb. Hard to find fresh or even frozen anymore.
I grow both and usually end up disposing of so much rhubarb.... much like sorrel. It does struggle in our hottest months though but recovers well.

I’ve occasionally put strawberries in a salad, but if I’m going to do that with fresh fruit, it’s much more likely to be apples or oranges.

Back
Top Bottom