Recipe Summer Strawberry Panzanella

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
6:21 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
So, strawberries, salad and vegan and no need for authenticity, just originality.

I came across a recipe for a summer strawberry panzanella. I sort of messed up with getting a few ingredients for another recipe that needed to be eaten first, but I didn't have all of the ingredients for that recipe, so built on this one instead.

I've added to this salad to make it a meal rather than an accompaniment, so avocado, tofu, capers, spinach & wild rocket.

Extra firm tofu marinates best when it's been frozen and defrosted, then pressed and drained. The texture opens up and allows the marinade into the tofu so I always keep tofu in the freezer. It is easily drained and dried using a tea towel and a little squashing in the hands.

Servings:6

Ingredients
400g extra firm tofu, frozen, defrosted, drained and cubed
400g stale bread of choice, cubed
200g spinach leaves and wild rocket leaves
500g strawberries, halved or quartered
100g red onions, pickled or unpickled
240g cannellini/white beans, drained and rinsed (this equates to 1 tin)
1 avocado chopped (optional)
50g capers or capers and chopped olives, (optional)
Handful sprouted greens (optional)

Balsamic Dressing ×2
60ml extra virgin olive oil
60ml balsamic vinegar
60ml balsamic glaze
½ tsp Dijon mustard
Salt to taste (optional)

Pickled Red Onion Recipe:
1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
250ml apple cider vinegar
2-3 tbsp maple syrup
½ tsp salt

Method
Pickled Red Onions

Make up the pickled red onions the day before. Simply sterilise a big enough jar (½ litre is ample), add all of the ingredients, close and shake, ensuring that all of the onions are submerged in the pickling fluid. Leave on the windowsill in the sunshine for a few hours or overnight if possible. Shake one or twice and put into the fridge until ready to use.

Marinated tofu
Prepare the balsamic dressing by adding all of the ingredients to a jar with a lid, sealing and shaking.
In a flat bottomed dish (with lid) lay the cubed drained tofu on the bottom and pour roughly half of the dressing (1 portion) over the tofu. Put the lid on, shake well and set aside overnight. Try to mix the contents once or twice.

On the day
Under a low medium grill, brown the cubed bread to golden and harder, about 5 minutes per side and set aside.

Add the tofu, avocado, beans, tomatoes, strawberries to a large serving bowl and pour over the other half of the dressing (you may not need it all) and toss to coat. Season as needed.

I found it easier to construct the salad in a pasta bowl on a per portion basis. So add the washed and dried greens to the bottom of a bowl, add the diced stale bread, next add several serving spoons of the mixed veg & fruit, add the capers, add the pickled sliced onions and any other bits you fancy (I found some semi-dried tomatoes in the fridge so included those).

Serve with extra dressing and any other bits you fancy!

20230917_121243.jpg 20230917_121252.jpg 20230917_121400.jpg

Back
Top Bottom