The CookingBites recipe challenge: sweet peppers

Not Indian, but I've got 1 that I'll make up today or tomorrow. It's part of a whole, but I don't think the avocado will be ripe before the challenge is over so that I can make the whole thing. But, the bell pepper recipe is a stand alone anyway.

I have one ready to cook today, and it is a rainy day, so I should have that one knocked out in time. I'll do the other one, just because I want to eat it, sometime this week. If it makes it in time, all the better.

CD

I will not be entering my clever Sweet Banana Pepper Enchiladas in the challenge, although I will probably post the recipe at some point.

Why? Well, sweet and hot banana peppers look the same, feel the same, and smell the same. Someone in the produce department got them confused, and put hot banana peppers in a bin marked "sweet banana peppers."

I made my stuffing and enchilada sauce, stuffed my peppers, and baked them in the oven. At the end, they looked marvelous!

1698547636579.jpeg

I plated one, snapped a photo, and dug in. Chomp, chomp, chomp... ummmmm... :pepper:

Even for hot banana peppers, these were unusually hot. Very tasty, but in no reach of the imagination were these sweet banana peppers. :laugh:

1698547834802.jpeg

CD

I will not be entering my clever Sweet Banana Pepper Enchiladas in the challenge, although I will probably post the recipe at some point.

Why? Well, sweet and hot banana peppers look the same, feel the same, and smell the same. Someone in the produce department got them confused, and put hot banana peppers in a bin marked "sweet banana peppers."

I made my stuffing and enchilada sauce, stuffed my peppers, and baked them in the oven. At the end, they looked marvelous!

View attachment 106479

I plated one, snapped a photo, and dug in. Chomp, chomp, chomp... ummmmm... :pepper:

Even for hot banana peppers, these were unusually hot. Very tasty, but in no reach of the imagination were these sweet banana peppers. :laugh:

View attachment 106480

CD
They look fantastic. What did you stuff them with? I definitely want that recipe.

They look fantastic. What did you stuff them with? I definitely want that recipe.

Mexican Chorizo and queso quesadilla. Johnsonville actually makes a chorizo I like, and you may be able to find in Jersey. Queso quesadilla can be subbed with low moisture mozzarella.

I'll post a recipe. Hopefully soon.

CD

I have two more entries in the works, but they are not Indian. I'm now wondering if I should bother. :scratchhead:

CD :D

I didn't say an Indian dish would win - I simply meant I'd like to see one (as I know you know!). I reckon the main pleasure of the challenge is to be able to see different approaches to cooking a particular ingredient. Anyway - I may well make my own Indian idea today...

View attachment 106479

View attachment 106480

CD

They look fab! You could have not told us it wasn't sweet banana peppers and entered it anyway!

They look fab! You could have not told us it wasn't sweet banana peppers and entered it anyway!

I thought about it, but only for a second. I couldn't do that in good conscience since I'd be entering a recipe that I didn't truthfully make, and more important, did not actually taste. What I made tasted good, and the pepper heads would like it, and the sweet pepper version would probably be good, too, but I can't say for sure that the sweet pepper version would taste good. I wouldn't want somebody else to cook the recipe if I haven't tasted it as written.

CD

By my reckoning (keeping in mind I’m neither in my native time zone nor GMT, so check my math(s), please), there are about eight hours to go. Cook ‘em if you got ‘em!

Well, the challenge closes at midnight today (UK time). But as I am a lenient judge and as I certainly won't be judging entries until 11 am tomorrow, I'll accept late entries.

In America you your 'midnight' will be anything up to 7 hours after mine. So feel free to enter recipes until its midnight your time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom