The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since the original photo appeared in my post which no longer has an edit facility, how would I be able to insert the revised/lightened photo?
@creative , Once you have been a member for 75 days, which is soon (you joined on the 20th March, so around the 2nd or 3rd of June depending on which day is day 1 (day 1 could be 20th or 21st, I'm not certain)) you will be able to edit any post you made in the last 12 months... which I know sounds mad but makes sense as well... :whistling:
Hope that helps.

To clarify for everyone, the current settings are:
New members can edit their posts for 30 minutes, no longer.
Once a member has made 5 (valid) posts, they can edit their posts for 24 hours.
Once a member has been with us for 75 days and made 25 valid posts, they can edit their posts for 365 days.
After 365 days, we feel that posts should either be left alone or reported to us and we make any necessary/required edits.
Also in the T&C's, I make it clear that leaving does not delete your account or content. The most I will do is deactivate your account leaving your content visible on the forum except under exceptional circumstances and you will need to contact me to action this.

Posts don't show as being edited, if done in the first five minutes after posting.

Or has it been reduced?

Posts don't show as being edited, if done in the first five minutes after posting.

Or has it been reduced?
I honestly can't remember off the top of my head. I would need to look it up, but I have the chook run in pieces and only 4 hours of daylight left.... sorry.
Perhaps you can run a few tests on a new thread and find out?

I'm curious as to why editing a post matters? I would guess it's largely done for spelling errors, or for making a point more clearly.

I'm curious as to why editing a post matters? I would guess it's largely done for spelling errors, or for making a point more clearly.
Some people go back and change their posts if they are having an argument/discussion with others. On other forums I have seen people change their entire post to a blank space during heated discussions just prior to leaving the site in a huff...
Then there are those who just want to be able to change the photo attached to a recipe to a better one.

In the case of the first instance, then anything you post is public, changing your mind up to a year later when you have a discussion/argument should make you reconsider what you post in the first place. This is a food/cooking forum not a general debate/argument forum (they do exist).
Personally in the second instance (photography) I think if this is the case then either ask the moderators to change it for you, or simply accept the fact that you have gotten better at photography, say so and post the new picture in the reply to show progress and not put off new members with stunning photography from the word 'go' and make it look like that has always been the case.

We appear to have discovered something rather delightful, the pomegranate are immensly moreish

If I remember correctly I came across pomegranate liqueur in Cadiz about 40 years ago. I cannot now remember of what it tasted but I guess pomegranate.

[Edit: Come to think of it, our (very expensive) imported pomegranates here are a produce of Spain - we do have our own locally grown but they are nowhere near the quality of those imported.]

Last edited:
They cut down on costs. Now the electric companies don't have to pay someone to come out and read the meters. Here, you can also now have a tall fence without a hole for the meter reader to read the meter. Most are stuck on the back of houses.
It also makes it impossible for people to steal electricity. I don't know how that worked but if your electricity was turned off, you could do something with the meter and it would come back on.
They do neither [except to the benefit of the company of course] and they can be 'hacked' . It is and always will be possible to simply 'loop out' the meter [although doing so is a dangerous procedure]. They are being sold over here as allowing you to see what you are using but I still can't see the point. After all if you don't need something switched on why have it on and if you do need it then you still need it whatever it's costing. Electricity is not like water - it doesn't leak through a hole in the wire, you are either using something or you are not.

This topic came up here because I had improved a photo but saw that the original photo (in a previous post) was no longer available - although it was liked! Morning glory kindly reinstated the edited/lightened photo for me.

That is why I edit mine, spelling error or if I don't feel as though I have put myself across correctly, perhaps come across as being rude when it wasn't meant.

Some people go back and change their posts if they are having an argument/discussion with others. On other forums I have seen people change their entire post to a blank space during heated discussions just prior to leaving the site in a huff...
Then there are those who just want to be able to change the photo attached to a recipe to a better one.

In the case of the first instance, then anything you post is public, changing your mind up to a year later when you have a discussion/argument should make you reconsider what you post in the first place. This is a food/cooking forum not a general debate/argument forum (they do exist).
Personally in the second instance (photography) I think if this is the case then either ask the moderators to change it for you, or simply accept the fact that you have gotten better at photography, say so and post the new picture in the reply to show progress and not put off new members with stunning photography from the word 'go' and make it look like that has always been the case.
Agree on that last one. You can show how you've improved in two fields then.

I've often edited recipes when I've looked back at them and realised I missed out a step - or an ingredient. On occasion members have contacted me to point this out!

Personally, I disagree with this. I feel I should have the right to edit my own photography without asking permission. If I can do it for up to a year, it seems odd to say that anything older should be left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom