The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dear Mom used to say she was 32 whenever someone asked how old she was. Lo and behold, her 64th birthday came along. My hubby had been waiting for this day for nearly a decade. When he asked her how old she was and she yet again replied "32", his answer was "which half?"

She still loved him.
That reminds me of how I sometimes describe myself (being pear shaped). I often say that I am half Italian....from the waist down!

We had a heavy rain shower a short while ago, instead of freshening up the air is now very humid

Last edited:
The temperature has shot right up again, too hot to do much. Being naturally pale I burn very easily even when covered in factor 50 sunscreen so I try to avoid direct sun during the full heat of the day.

Burn well too - now that I seem to be getting 'thinner' on top I keep an old cloth 'bush hat' / 'sun hat / army hat in the cupboard. Soak the inside with water and wear it if I have to go out in the full sun. Doesn't look much but it is sooo comfortable having a cool head :thumbsup:

The sun keeps disappearing behind clouds and the wind has picked up, still hot but maybe more rain to come?

Seldom went below 15°C yesterday, in the shade and sheltered from any breeze.

today hasn't gone to plan... but it has shown that there are still some really nice people around in the world.

We went to do the recycling and take our refuse to the tip and do some grocery shopping. It didn't get off to the best of starts but we both saw the funny side and the 'thankfully' side of things when failing to manage to find the box of tissues in the car, I decided to use of on the glass cloths in the glove box. Luckily I don't scream at things easily, or for that matter throw up but I was met by a certain odour and a 'what's that?' as I stared at a dead mouse which had its tail wrapped around its head. Presumably it was in the glove compartment last night when I went in there for one of the torches to walk to the house and was doing its best to stay warm... I don't know if I killed it closing the glove compartment. It's one of those V shaped ones that rocks backwards when you close it rather than squashing everything so I can't see how I killed it, but it was certainly dead this afternoon and there was an undeniable odour that resulted in first the car window being put down, demands for the car to be stopped and the mouse removed before the realisation that the window cloth it had been in needed a new home in the boot in a sealed bag. Next was the still undeniable odour and the realisation that the 2nd cloth also needed to be disposed of. The trip into the local rural supplies store resulted in a 50% success rate after several blank stares... '00' wire wool was eventually translated into Australian... fine steel wool is the translation btw. T50 staples were done by guess work. I haven't double checked them yet, but the stapler we have and the staples we buy both say T50 on them, however this is not what the rural supplies store sells and T50 staples again was met with a blank look. yeh... the other 2 items were a 1 surprise, 1 not surprise. I'll have to go to south Canberra to buy the wholegrain (i.e. uncracked) corn for the girls and then drive around with it in the boot of the car until hubby gets back from Melbourne (he goes tomorrow). The dedicated rat/mouse poison that is not poisonous to anything else (Ratshot blue) didn't come as a great surprise with them not having it in store. I'm having problems getting hold of it.

Then the tip & recycling centre... That bit went fine. It was the leaving that was the problem... the car decided it had no car key detectable. It had been in my husband's pocket... it wasn't anymore. The staff looked for it in the pit, we could only sit and watch as they raked through the recycling for us. Sadly it seems it was lost as my husband disposed of the rubbish which was instantly tractored up into a huge pile as luck would have it. Needless to say I have a habit of keeping the spare car key at home unless we are going on holiday or splitting up and doing different things in town. Hubby had also left his phone at home so ringing a taxi wasn't an option. Mine was being run down to flatten the battery yesterday because you can't select power off on the screen to turn it off, and now having a flat battery was also at home for very obvious reason awaiting replacement of the screen (which was meant to have been today's task)... And so we were stranded at the tip. A very kind gentleman in the vehicle next to us, offered to let us use his phone and whilst Hubby was sitting in the car making the call (it was a howling gale outside) the gentleman asked what the problem was with the car... I explained and he asked where we lived. Again I explained and he offered to drive us there. I added we only had the one car, so would need to be brought back if possible - no problem. And so someone totally unknown to us came to our rescue. On the way to our house, and almost there, apparently the guy came to a very sudden halt because less than 5m away from the edge of the dirt road was a wedge tailed eagle sitting on a wooden post. He had never seen one that close up before. They are Australia's largest bird of prey. We have a pair of them nesting locally. I see them all the time (though never quite that closely, I will add).

We now have a very expensive bill for a new car 'key' because only 1 is going to come back and haunt us without a doubt and more to the point, my set of 'keys' is only the fob. It was hubby's that was the fob and the only key we had (not that it has an ignition key, but would have allowed us to lock the car even if one of the windows was partially down as a result of a dead mouse... :whistling:

Last night we went to a gig, The Mission, 80's Goth band. We only know 4 of the songs but they were really good. Quite a few of the fans weren't even born when they first started! Some serious die-hard fans and a really good show.

today hasn't gone to plan... but it has shown that there are still some really nice people around in the world.

We went to do the recycling and take our refuse to the tip and do some grocery shopping. It didn't get off to the best of starts but we both saw the funny side and the 'thankfully' side of things when failing to manage to find the box of tissues in the car, I decided to use of on the glass cloths in the glove box. Luckily I don't scream at things easily, or for that matter throw up but I was met by a certain odour and a 'what's that?' as I stared at a dead mouse which had its tail wrapped around its head. Presumably it was in the glove compartment last night when I went in there for one of the torches to walk to the house and was doing its best to stay warm... I don't know if I killed it closing the glove compartment. It's one of those V shaped ones that rocks backwards when you close it rather than squashing everything so I can't see how I killed it, but it was certainly dead this afternoon and there was an undeniable odour that resulted in first the car window being put down, demands for the car to be stopped and the mouse removed before the realisation that the window cloth it had been in needed a new home in the boot in a sealed bag. Next was the still undeniable odour and the realisation that the 2nd cloth also needed to be disposed of. The trip into the local rural supplies store resulted in a 50% success rate after several blank stares... '00' wire wool was eventually translated into Australian... fine steel wool is the translation btw. T50 staples were done by guess work. I haven't double checked them yet, but the stapler we have and the staples we buy both say T50 on them, however this is not what the rural supplies store sells and T50 staples again was met with a blank look. yeh... the other 2 items were a 1 surprise, 1 not surprise. I'll have to go to south Canberra to buy the wholegrain (i.e. uncracked) corn for the girls and then drive around with it in the boot of the car until hubby gets back from Melbourne (he goes tomorrow). The dedicated rat/mouse poison that is not poisonous to anything else (Ratshot blue) didn't come as a great surprise with them not having it in store. I'm having problems getting hold of it.

Then the tip & recycling centre... That bit went fine. It was the leaving that was the problem... the car decided it had no car key detectable. It had been in my husband's pocket... it wasn't anymore. The staff looked for it in the pit, we could only sit and watch as they raked through the recycling for us. Sadly it seems it was lost as my husband disposed of the rubbish which was instantly tractored up into a huge pile as luck would have it. Needless to say I have a habit of keeping the spare car key at home unless we are going on holiday or splitting up and doing different things in town. Hubby had also left his phone at home so ringing a taxi wasn't an option. Mine was being run down to flatten the battery yesterday because you can't select power off on the screen to turn it off, and now having a flat battery was also at home for very obvious reason awaiting replacement of the screen (which was meant to have been today's task)... And so we were stranded at the tip. A very kind gentleman in the vehicle next to us, offered to let us use his phone and whilst Hubby was sitting in the car making the call (it was a howling gale outside) the gentleman asked what the problem was with the car... I explained and he asked where we lived. Again I explained and he offered to drive us there. I added we only had the one car, so would need to be brought back if possible - no problem. And so someone totally unknown to us came to our rescue. On the way to our house, and almost there, apparently the guy came to a very sudden halt because less than 5m away from the edge of the dirt road was a wedge tailed eagle sitting on a wooden post. He had never seen one that close up before. They are Australia's largest bird of prey. We have a pair of them nesting locally. I see them all the time (though never quite that closely, I will add).

We now have a very expensive bill for a new car 'key' because only 1 is going to come back and haunt us without a doubt and more to the point, my set of 'keys' is only the fob. It was hubby's that was the fob and the only key we had (not that it has an ignition key, but would have allowed us to lock the car even if one of the windows was partially down as a result of a dead mouse... :whistling:

:rolleyes:

I decided to paint my finger nails this morning, didn't realise my hands we so unsteady :o_o: instead I just used clear nail hardener.

How long have you been keeping mice in the car?

Having a stroll yesterday, we saw some sand martins. Not, I concede, exactly a rare bird, but it's the first time I've seen any in or around this particular town. That means we have the full set of summer visitors; swifts, swallows, house martins and sand martins. (And before somebody points out that there are other migratory birds, I mean purely of the type of aerial dasher listed).

Having a stroll yesterday, we saw some sand martins. Not, I concede, exactly a rare bird, but it's the first time I've seen any in or around this particular town. That means we have the full set of summer visitors; swifts, swallows, house martins and sand martins. (And before somebody points out that there are other migratory birds, I mean purely of the type of aerial dasher listed).

We get swallows and swifts around here, the swifts fly quite close to our house.
My boss is appalled at the fact we have bats near us and in the evenings they fly a circuit around our house catching bugs. I love wild creatures :love:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom