The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My boss is scared of pretty much anything that isn't human,
judging by the number of people killed by other people that might not be too good a strategy
No reason that they should lose their life just through a silly, learnt fear!
some spiders can be a bit more dangerous than others however

A quick bit of research on Johnny Internet reveals that there are around 650 different species of spider in the UK, so we have quite a few.
Yes but how many of those are dangerous in the UK?

From the website (ha!) of Science Focus:

There are three common spiders in the UK that are capable of biting you: the cellar spider, the woodlouse spider and the false widow spider. Their bites are painful and have been known to cause swelling for a few hours.

I think one would have to be very unlucky to be bitten by a spider in Britain, for the simple reason that people are very big and spiders are very small. Tiny creatures, in general, tend to avoid big ones unless there is some benefit in attacking them (as with midges).

I've just watched a video of Queen at Live Aid (again) - still brings tears to my eyes.
Yes - Freddie Mercury owned that stage - he was awesome wasn't he? He ! It was the performance which turned it around for them. Apparently they were on the wane before that.

However, I was more affected/overwhelmed with Geldof - that he was so profoundly moved by what he saw in Ethiopia and managed to initiate such a massive project as Live Aid. What a hero!

Yes but phobias can be overcome, i.e. challenging our conditioning. I did just this!

I was staying overnight at a country cottage. The bed I was allocated had a huge spider very high above the pillow area, on the ceiling! Then and there I knew I had to come to terms with this if I were to sleep. I asked myself what I was afraid of. Simple - that it would land on my face! I then asked myself had this ever occurred? No. So I overcame it with logic!

When I see a spider now, e.g. crawling on the floor, I employ the card and glass trick - capture it and fling it outside. No reason that they should lose their life just through a silly, learnt fear!

I don't mind the small ones, it is the really big ugly house ones, tarantulas etc that I cannot cope with.

Just got back from a shopping trip in town to get stuff for our holiday, don't enjoy shopping but we need new clothes, I now need a lie-down :o_o:

I don't mind the small ones, it is the really big ugly house ones, tarantulas etc that I cannot cope with.
Yes I dislike the bigger ones but they are not tarantulas! These are massive and with visible hairy legs.

We used to have some big spiders at my old house The walkway around the house to the backyard was only about 3 feet wide, and at the front corner of the house, spiders would weave their webs across to a forsythia bush just across the path.
I would often walk face first into their web when I would leave for work at night. I would then jump around lika a madman, peeling the web full of dead bugs off my head, hoping that the spider wasn't somewhere crawling around on me.
It happened often enough so that when I remembered, I would walk past that bush doing a sort of swimming motion in the air in order to knock down any webs before they wrapped around my face.

:stop:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom