The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to host a concert to save the spiders.

Who's with me?
bolt.gif

We used to have some big spiders at my old house The walkway around the house to the backyard was only about 3 feet wide, and at the front corner of the house, spiders would weave their webs across to a forsythia bush just across the path.
I would often walk face first into their web when I would leave for work at night. I would then jump around lika a madman, peeling the web full of dead bugs off my head, hoping that the spider wasn't somewhere crawling around on me.
It happened often enough so that when I remembered, I would walk past that bush doing a sort of swimming motion in the air in order to knock down any webs before they wrapped around my face.

:stop:

We had some conifer trees in the front garden and the little spiders would weave very elaborate webs, which in the early morning covered in dew looked spectacular. Those I would stand and admire :)

Only two species of spider are protected by law in Britain (the fen raft and ladybird spider, since you ask). This is a poor show.
I didn't mean endangered...just dangerous! If you read back, then you will understand the conversation.

My post was not written in response to the above.

Thank you for your concern, but I am quite capable of understanding written English.
Oh sorry...no offense. Easy mistake to make since you didn't make your reference clear.

Oh sorry...no offense. Easy mistake to make since you didn't make your reference clear.

I was just having a random thought, really, albeit on the subject of spiders. If I was considering other posts, it was more along the lines of using the funds from the spider concert for conservation work.

We used to have some big spiders at my old house The walkway around the house to the backyard was only about 3 feet wide, and at the front corner of the house, spiders would weave their webs across to a forsythia bush just across the path.
I would often walk face first into their web when I would leave for work at night. I would then jump around lika a madman, peeling the web full of dead bugs off my head, hoping that the spider wasn't somewhere crawling around on me.
It happened often enough so that when I remembered, I would walk past that bush doing a sort of swimming motion in the air in order to knock down any webs before they wrapped around my face.

:stop:
Oh I know that one so very well. Here there are some that weave amazing webs at night, hunt during the night and by morning the web is, well it's just gone. I think they consume it but I'm not certain.
We had some conifer trees in the front garden and the little spiders would weave very elaborate webs, which in the early morning covered in dew looked spectacular. Those I would stand and admire :)
You can see some webs here from hundreds of meters away in the mornings...

A couple of Halloweens ago, we had a rather large spider build a very nice web across the space between our front door frame and the light fixture along side. We left it there until after the holiday, then moved the spider to the other end of the porch before we had a web clear across our doorway! They are also fond of stringing their webs between the garage door frame and the lights along side. We just leave those and duck down when going in and out of the garage. After all, spiders like mosquitoes. We don't like mosquitoes. Therefore we like...erm, tolerate spiders in an awkward symbiotic relationship.

Something like that, bucky. Most spiders found in the house get gently scooped up with a tissue, then unceremoniously dumped outside. I do like to play with Daddy Long Legs, though, putting it in the palm of my hand and talking to it all the way to the outside, where I gently place it on the porch rail. Crazy lady, huh?

Something like that, bucky. Most spiders found in the house get gently scooped up with a tissue, then unceremoniously dumped outside. I do like to play with Daddy Long Legs, though, putting it in the palm of my hand and talking to it all the way to the outside, where I gently place it on the porch rail. Crazy lady, huh?
If you read my spoiler post, those were Granddaddy Long legs. You would have had a ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom