The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I shall be indulging when the sun is over the yardarm (Midday - our yardarms are pretty high!)

The last time I had a Bloody Mary was 25 years ago in the Taj Mahal Hotel, Bombay. It came with slices of those long white radishes. Very nice.

Daikons? (I feel like I'm walking into a joke here. Like Yorky replies, "Gesundheit!")

OK, so, fill a pint glass or larger half way with vodka, then almost to the top with tomato juice. Add a good shot or three of Worcestershire, then a heaping tsp of grated hot horseradish, the juice of a 1/2 lime, a shake of black pepper, and use a celery stalk to stir it well.

If you need to, shake it with ice. Then wrap the ice in a cloth for your head.

I haven't had one since I thought I was in Bombay, but really just woke up on a subway in an Indian neighborhood in Queens.

Last edited:
Begins with "C": Weird synergy in my shopping list

I started making a shopping list of things I needed - coffee creamer, cereal, carrots - when I noticed that all three began with the letter C. Not so unusual when it's only 3 items, but as I started adding things, I noticed that things I needed also began with a C:

capers, coffee filters, canned cat food, cream cheese

So, idiotic as it sounds, I decided that this week's list would be limited only to things beginning with the letter C. I haven't even had to get all that creative for some things that I need. Here's where it stands now:
  • coffee creamer
  • cereal (Cap'n Crunch)
  • carrots
  • capers
  • coffee filters
  • canned cat food
  • cream cheese
  • confectioners sugar
  • cocoa powder
  • cherry diet coke
  • canned dog food
There are 2 items I really want to get - rye flour and butterscotch schnapps - and I can't think of a way to list them that fits this new rule. If I can find a brand name - like Carl's Rye Flour - then I can get it. If not, then I guess I'll have to wait until I make a list of things we need beginning with the letter R.

Daikons? (I feel like I'm walking into a joke here. Like Yorky replies, "Gesundheit!")

That's them!

OK, so, fill a pint glass or larger half way with vodka, then almost to the top with tomato juice. Add a good shot or three of Worcestershire, then a heaping tsp of grated hot horseradish, the juice of a 1/2 lime, a shake of black pepper, and use a celery stalk to stir it well.

chad.jpg

The things you end up doing for chickens....

One of my chooks was bloody this morning from a fight last night (top chook dominance fight. there has been a hole in the leadership of the flock since the fox attack. the girl I expected to be top chook was the really badly injured one, so for 5 weeks she was out of the game and the only other possible option had to stand in. Shes a loner and didn't want the job but is really good at it. Well the 2 of them had a big fight yesterday whilst we were out. a blood shedding fight and of course we came home after dark last night so didn't see the damage until this morning... ) now one of the girls was also covered in sticky chook shit and it needed to be gotten off her... so today was taken up with bathing a frightened chook who then realised we weren't going to kill her, harm her or even hurt her and fell asleep in the water! Then came the trickey bit - my hubby had to go out and buy a hair dryer for me this morning for this bit... I had to blow dry a chicken. Its going to be -3C or below tonight so she had to be completely dry and she's in full winter plumage and there is masses of it. It took me over an hour and half to blow dry a chicken! What an afternoon. I am so very glad that she is a really cooperative chicken and just sat on my knee throughout, but seriously 90 minutes to blow dry a chicken?

If you need to, shake it with ice. Then wrap the ice in a cloth for your head.

I haven't had one since I thought I was in Bombay, but really just woke up on a subway in an Indian neighborhood in Queens.

I tried one once, too much black pepper for my taste-couldn'd drink it.

One of my chooks was bloody this morning from a fight last night (top chook dominance fight. there has been a hole in the leadership of the flock since the fox attack. the girl I expected to be top chook was the really badly injured one, so for 5 weeks she was out of the game and the only other possible option had to stand in. Shes a loner and didn't want the job but is really good at it. Well the 2 of them had a big fight yesterday whilst we were out. a blood shedding fight and of course we came home after dark last night so didn't see the damage until this morning... ) now one of the girls was also covered in sticky chook shoot and it needed to be gotten off her... so today was taken up with bathing a frightened chook who then realised we weren't going to kill her, harm her or even hurt her and fell asleep in the water! Then came the trickey bit - my hubby had to go out and buy a hair dryer for me this morning for this bit... I had to blow dry a chicken. Its going to be -3C or below tonight so she had to be completely dry and she's in full winter plumage and there is masses of it. It took me over an hour and half to blow dry a chicken! What an afternoon. I am so very glad that she is a really cooperative chicken and just sat on my knee throughout, but seriously 90 minutes to blow dry a chicken?

:roflmao: sorry but.. blow drying a chicken

:roflmao: sorry but.. blow drying a chicken
more to the point having to buy a hair dryer for a chicken! come on, you missed that one. I don't own a hairdryer. haven't done since I was, errr well I think it is well over 3 decades ago lets put it that way and that was my one and only hairdryer....

it was pink. my mother likes pink (she even had pink leathers for her kit on the Harley my stepfather had until his hip went permanently and he could no longer manage it. I don't like pink. I don't like red either, too close to pink and tends to die things pink... oops wrong dye.

...As soon as I was done, I took the longest, hottest shower that I could stand.
Did you use Fels Naptha bar soap? I keep that on hand for poison ivy encounters. Also, make sure everything else that might have come in contact gets washed. You can get PI on you hands by tying your shoelaces if you're really sensitive. Happened to a friend.

Also, if you do get a rash, look for a product that includes Jewelweed. We conveniently had a large grouping of the plant growing right in with our poison ivy at the first house. Good thing they like the same growing environment. A health supply store should have soap/salve/lotion with jewelweed extract. If not, the WWW of shopping is always open.

One of my chooks was bloody this morning from a fight last night (top chook dominance fight. there has been a hole in the leadership of the flock since the fox attack. the girl I expected to be top chook was the really badly injured one, so for 5 weeks she was out of the game and the only other possible option had to stand in. Shes a loner and didn't want the job but is really good at it. Well the 2 of them had a big fight yesterday whilst we were out. a blood shedding fight and of course we came home after dark last night so didn't see the damage until this morning... ) now one of the girls was also covered in sticky chook shoot and it needed to be gotten off her... so today was taken up with bathing a frightened chook who then realised we weren't going to kill her, harm her or even hurt her and fell asleep in the water! Then came the trickey bit - my hubby had to go out and buy a hair dryer for me this morning for this bit... I had to blow dry a chicken. Its going to be -3C or below tonight so she had to be completely dry and she's in full winter plumage and there is masses of it. It took me over an hour and half to blow dry a chicken! What an afternoon. I am so very glad that she is a really cooperative chicken and just sat on my knee throughout, but seriously 90 minutes to blow dry a chicken?
Wow. That's dedication. How many do you have? Do you keep them for eggs?

We have a single lonely chicken. Our female staffy had a worm infestation this time last year, went mental and killed 2 chooks (actually one was a beautiful Rooster, but that's another story) and we lost our oldest girl to old age.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom