The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Cinisajoy I have finished the blanket. Your prompt regarding it made me go and measure it... It turned out that I didn't have another 18 inches to knit at all, only the final 3 garter rows to make the weighted end I do which prevents it from rolling up. Thank you. I nearly made it way too long (again...) :whistling: Once I have finished sewing in the ends, (today or tomorrow), I can spin some more of my own wool and start on either a pair of thick socks, a woolly jumper for me or a small windstopper backed blanket for my legs when in the wheelchair. Choices... the socks will take a little working out but I have the wool for them. the jumper is an interesting one because as much as I would like one, I would like to make it from my own spun wool which means it wont be done this winter (I hand spin... and I have only just started to learn how. As for the blanket, I have the wool and the back for it, so could complete that in a matter of days to a week without issue. But I fancy knitting something other than a blanket at the moment. Hummm

This is the first wool I have spun, plying it as well using a Turkish Drop spindle.

1st ball of wool.JPG
Still needs a touch of work, but I'm learning!

This is hubby's blanket.
stuart blanket.jpg

Sorry I haven't been in here much this weekend. Had DD and her family here for the weekend. Her DF cleaned out the garage for Mom and I yesterday and the next time he's here we'll work on organizing what's left in there. Forgot what it's like to have a 2 year old and a 4 year old in the house. Love them to death, but they wore me out.

I follow our local police on Twitter and they are active, posting about where they are and encouraging people to say hello. I am tempted to ask them why they are at festivals instead of on the street doing what tax payers money pays them to do! Driving the wrong way down 1 way streets, red light jumping, speeding, using phones whilst driving, it all goes on because there isn't a police presence. I don't want to live in a Big Brother is watching you world but 1 day someone is going to get hurt.

Rant over.

I follow our local police on Twitter and they are active, posting about where they are and encouraging people to say hello. I am tempted to ask them why they are at festivals instead of on the street doing what tax payers money pays them to do! Driving the wrong way down 1 way streets, red light jumping, speeding, using phones whilst driving, it all goes on because there isn't a police presence. I don't want to live in a Big Brother is watching you world but 1 day someone is going to get hurt.

Rant over.
They are at festivals because there are thousands of people there [many of whom are young] and the possibilities for crime are enormous from minor theft to drugs trafficking. Festivals are not the happy places they were [if they ever were] and the people there are tax payers too [well some of them]. As for traffic offenses I note the police have a habit of using unmarked cars - result they catch one speeder and six more fly past while the officer is busy - use a marked car and everybody slows down, similar with mobile phones - and the road becomes a safer place [but that wouldn't put any money in the governments pocket now would it].

Maybe a your photos photo, not sure. Not the best by any means because they are a nocturnal mammal normally... but this one has a neck injury which I only spotted when processing the photos (from raw to jpg). There was about 2m gap between us at one point and a fence! You always need to watch them because they can be quite a nasty grumpy animal when they want to be. We have several around us. they routinely dig up the garden (along with the roos wallabies and the chooks...`)

IMG_9700.JPG

I have been watching a bit of Wimbledon and the Test cricket at Lord's over the weekend. Lots of pictures of people getting hot in bright sunshine. All I am seeing from my own window, however, is grey sky and drizzle.

Any chance of sharing it about a bit?

Do they charge ridiculous prices for food and drinks at Wimbledon like they do at the US Open?

I mean like $6 or $7 for a 500ml bottle of water.

Do they charge ridiculous prices for food and drinks at Wimbledon like they do at the US Open?

Yup! prices there are quite silly but its worth it if you're going for the day! Especially if the suns out! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

I would have to be very, very desperate to pay those prices even for beer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom