The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
No more bloodbaths involving cats today. They all seem to have forgiven me, thank goodness.
That's the good news! The bad news is that I've got to take the mutt to the vet for his annual booster jab and health check on Friday :laugh:

We gave up with 'booster' jabs along time ago. Quite a lot of vets are beginning to question the need for them too. After all you don't 'boost' your MMR vaccine etc so why do the dogs need so many 'boosts'. I suppose if you use kennels a lot then you are stuck with it but TBH cynical old me thinks it's more to do with veterinary pay checks than animal welfare.

We gave up with 'booster' jabs along time ago. Quite a lot of vets are beginning to question the need for them too. After all you don't 'boost' your MMR vaccine etc so why do the dogs need so many 'boosts'. I suppose if you use kennels a lot then you are stuck with it but TBH cynical old me thinks it's more to do with veterinary pay checks than animal welfare.

Our cat has her annual check up and boosters, the cattery won't take her without them and, although she may never need the jabs I would rather be safe than sorry.

It's one of the conditions for rehoming an ex-racer from our local dog track. They still have regular contact with other greys, occasionally including ones that are still actively racing.
In the 1970s, when I first moved into my house, distemper and parvo were rife in this area, and nearly all dogs had their jabs as a matter of course. When these became rare, I didn't bother after the first booster, unless the dogs were going into kennels. My old lurcher that I got in the 1960s caught parvo. It was not nice, and the vet didn't think a dog of her age (she was 12 when she got it) would survive, and he said he would only charge us if she did (Mum had been using the same vet surgery since the early 1950s when she bred Scotties). But survive she did, and the treatment cost a lot of money! And that was even after having her annual jabs.

This evening we had a meal at Casa Romana in town, it is my birthday and that is what I wanted to do. A bottle of prosecco, starter was black ink ravioli with crab and seabass utter heaven.
Happy Birth Week, @Lullabelle, since one day isn't enough for celebrations. :wink: Well, it sounds good anyway. I'm just getting caught up since our return from vacation and got to your post late. I hope this works for you.

We suffered a 3 day disruption in government water supply this last week. We have a 1,000 litre buffer tank which suffices as there only two of us. My wife took the opportunity to completely drain the tank (after the supply had been restored) and found a substantial quantity of "mud" in the bottom. As I am too big to fit in the access cover (luckily) my wife spent over an hour in there with pan scourers and wire brushes this morning.

IMG_0878.JPG

The black cat was just checking it out. (Some of the recovered mud in the bowl (and all over the tiles))

Christmas came early to my grocery store. When I walked in there was a display of "Thomas' English Muffins" that were on special. Among the packages were several of their Cranberry style - "Limited Edition". It used to be a year-round offering. Now it comes out only at the holidays. Well I guess Santa showed up at the grocery store early this year! I don't mind this particular rushing the season, though, since I always liked this version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom