The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have finished my first ever jumper!
Just in time for the hot weather to arrive (hopefully).

jumper.jpg

Now to finish the pair of socks I am knitting. I was this close to finishing the second one when one of the knots came undone on a thread change and I have had to unpick 4cm of knitting on very thin needles (2.25mm for those who knit) and redo it. I was at the toe stage... I have a way to go now.:(

I have finished my first ever jumper!
Just in time for the hot weather to arrive (hopefully).

View attachment 11203

Now to finish the pair of socks I am knitting. I was this close to finishing the second one when one of the knots came undone on a thread change and I have had to unpick 4cm of knitting on very thin needles (2.25mm for those who knit) and redo it. I was at the toe stage... I have a way to go now.:(

That looks just great! I must get back into knitting. I really enjoy it.

My Mum used to go through all the family names before she got to mine. I was often called Jack or Tony :laugh:
My (late) Grannie was the same. She would go through all the family names including the dog before she would get to the person's name she was after. I now find myself doing the same!
Does anyone else here ever stay up after the people they live with go to bed? I just realised I love that feeling - everyone else is safely tucked up (I hope) - that includes the dog. Now I can do me time.
No, I'm the first to bed always. I get me time during the day. I try to spend as much time with my hubby as I can when he's home. He gets his me time driving home (2hours a day - 1 hr each way - OK less. it usually only takes him 40 mins or so because he doesn't stick to the 100kph speed limit on the dirt roads unless it is dawn or dusk and a major roo risk time. (driving that fast he has a habit of them running into the side of the vehicle rather than actually hitting the roo where the roo bars are)).
At the moment though I am not getting much me time because of everything that needs to be done. I have just started cooking again, only very basic stuff that doesn't take much time with me standing up... and only on good days but its a start. I managed to make a tomato soup last night.

Darn it - the laptop has just decided its battery is running low - which it is, and has powered down the screen so I can't really see what I'm typing!

I'm also chicken sitting at the moment. We have had some problems with a first time layer. Other than she is not laying where she is meant to, on Sunday we caught her in distress walking around the garden with an egg hanging out. even from a distance I could see the blood. She's laying eggs that are too large for her vent which can cause problems. Then the next time she laid, she prolapsed. Luckily I had separated her from everyone else and she was up on the veranda in a cage, so I was able to help her out - which reminds me, I need to give her her dose of aspirin (20mg)... I had better go off and do that now.

I'm also chicken sitting at the moment. We have had some problems with a first time layer. Other than she is not laying where she is meant to, on Sunday we caught her in distress walking around the garden with an egg hanging out. even from a distance I could see the blood. She's laying eggs that are too large for her vent which can cause problems. Then the next time she laid, she prolapsed. Luckily I had separated her from everyone else and she was up on the veranda in a cage, so I was able to help her out - which reminds me, I need to give her her dose of aspirin (20mg)... I had better go off and do that now.
No rose tinted glasses?

No rose tinted glasses?
no sadly.

But she is looking a lot better after 4 days by herself during the day (I'm company if that counts) where she can eat what she wants and isn't facing constant competition from the others. Also the aspirin helps with the inflammation and pain so she'll be feeling better in herself overall. Now all I have to do is teach her that nesting boxes are where you lay eggs, not wherever you happen to be at the time the egg is delivered!

I used to be like that - but now he has retired he is around all day! I keep suggesting that he needs to take up a hobby...
tried that with my OH as well. Can't come up with anything he would be good at though.... she says looking at the veg plot and the attempts at possum proofing the raised beds!

no sadly.

But she is looking a lot better after 4 days by herself during the day (I'm company if that counts) where she can eat what she wants and isn't facing constant competition from the others. Also the aspirin helps with the inflammation and pain so she'll be feeling better in herself overall. Now all I have to do is teach her that nesting boxes are where you lay eggs, not wherever you happen to be at the time the egg is delivered!
You know why they had rose tinted glasses?

@Elawin

I think Gordon Ramsay is an amazing chef. I do not watch Hells Kitchen. That excessive profanity is totally unnecessary. I do watch Master Chef. He refrains from profanity.

It may be a "southern thing". I was reared with manners. Yes Mamm, Yes Sir, Please and Thank You. When I joined the Navy in 82 I brought my manners with me. I frequently had my butt chewed for addressing a senior enlisted person as sir or mamm.. I gave them my LOOK and told them that my Mother taught me manners. End of discussion.

@SatNavSaysStraightOn

Love the sweater. I have a dark grey pencil skirt that would look great with that. A heavy silver chain and silver drop earrings, black pumps. Ready for a night out.

@Elawin

I am the eldest of 7 children. When Mother got angry or flustered she would name all of us before she got to the name she wanted. Watch out. Mother is very calm, kind and soft spoken. When she got angry we headed for the woods.

As a child I remember Mother putting us on our knees in a corner for bad behavior. 1 minute for each year of age. I was 4 or 5 years old and in the corner. I usually cried and begged to be released. This time I was suspiciously quite. Mom checked on me. I had found a loose piece of wallpaper and was happily peeling the wall paper off of the wall. That earned me a smack on the bottom and a huge hug. Mom tried to be angry but could not help laughing.

Another punishment was "hard chores". Things that we were not normally asked to do. Clean the kitchen floor on hands and knees with a scrub brush. Apply paste wax to the wood floors in the hall and den - again on hands and knees. Weed the garden and or flower beds - hands and knees.

In our wildest dreams we never, ever considered talking back to our parents or teachers or any adult. That was a serious offence. As in you do not leave your room for a week except for school and meals.

Once Dad got sober and quit hitting our life became normal. Mom was the disciplinarian. Dad was totally Hands Off. Mom's methods got our attention and corrected bad behavior without pain or scars. That is not to say that she did not give us a smack when needed. There is a big difference between a corrective smack on the butt and a fist on the face.

Mother is a hale and hearty 86. A living angel. I know the day will come when I have to say good bye to her. I cringe at the thought. I can not imagine life without my Mother.

Parents do have an enormous amount of influence on the development of their children. Good or bad. I think PC is garbage.

You know why they had rose tinted glasses?
Well I do know that the expression is to indicate that that person sees more than others, but I know I do see much more detail and remember it than many other people. What I'm uncertain of is whether that is what you are referring to. I would actually hate to observe and recall observing any more than I already do. I'm regarded by most who know me as seeing and hearing too much as it is! A rose tint to my glasses (proven I believe to aid in seeing more) would just be too much!

@SatNavSaysStraightOn

Love the sweater. I have a dark grey pencil skirt that would look great with that. A heavy silver chain and silver drop earrings, black pumps. Ready for a night out.

Thank you. Though I'm not a night out person.

I've got chook problems....

One of them had gone broody... So she's trying to sit on as many eggs as she can but, and here is the problem, she's a bantam not a chook. And this means that she's much smaller. She's my smallest `chook`. She lays sweet tiny little eggs that even with the eggshell only weigh 40g at most. She's trying to sit on 8 normal sized eggs. She laid yesterday which means she's not fully broody yet, but is sitting on the best constantly and goes straight back even when you risk life and limb and move her off the nest... She hasn't lain yet today and if she doesn't and then doesn't again tomorrow, I'll know she's fully broody. I need some bantam eggs for her to sit on!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom